RE: Fuel pump requirements

To: <DANMAS@aol.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fuel pump requirements
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 08:32:33 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
>Hmm, lets see - 100 mph @ 5 mpg (swag), you would be using 20 gph. 70 mph @ 20
>mpg, you would be using 3.5 gph.
>
>The only requirements I can see for the fuel pump pressure are:
>
>1) High enough to provide the required gph, but
>
>2) Not high enough to lift the bowl float via the needle valve.
>
>SWAG?  3.5 - 7 psi

Most fuel pumps I've looked at are going to deliver more than the 20 gph max
you've estimated.

I guessing that a much greater delivery rate is required for an "all out" run?
But how much?

Remember Jim Stuart's apparent fuel starvation in Illinois at the drag race
event?  He suggested the little square noisy pump was to
blame, the same pump I'm running.

As far as fuel pressure I just looked up Edelbrock's site ... coulda done that
before!   Their recommendation is no more than 6psi,
5.5psi preferred.  I'd say your SWAG is pretty darn close.

I couldn't find any gph requirements in their sight.  I can understand that gph
is more dependant on the engine than the carb, but I
imagine the carb has a maximum it can handle.  Maybe I'll give them a call
today.

Larry Hoy