Re: Stroking a 4.6 Rover?

To: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: Stroking a 4.6 Rover?
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@huntnet.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 10:29:17 -0500
Cc: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Dave, the 4.0/4.6 have bigger rod journals, 2.185.  New rods are longer and
stronger, 4.0 is 6.11, 4.6 is 5.897, for better torque.  To use the older rods
requires grinding the crank to a point where it must be heat treated again.  New
pistons are also much nicer pieces that the old stuff with compression height of
1.413 vs 1.95, a much lighter piece without the weakness that caused some of the
earlier pistons to lose crowns at high revs.  The neat and much cheaper setup
is a
4.6 with 4.0 pistons and the stock crank, stroke 3.228, with the stock and good
rear seal.  John