RE: Wheels & Tires

To: "'Jim Stuart'" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Subject: RE: Wheels & Tires
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:53:31 -0700
Cc: "'mgb-v8@autox.team.net'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Jim:

        I think you are correct about the 15" rims allowing wider tires.
Also suspension height has a lot to do with it.  The inside fender has a
bulge that the bump stop attaches to.  This gets in the way at some ride
heights and with some 14" wheel/tire combinations.

        I ran 15" x 5.5"  Minator wheels with a 215/60 15 Tire on a
converted wire wheel late axle.  There was enough clearance on the inside to
run without spacers, and enough outside so that with 3/4" of spacers there
was still lots of clearance to the fender lip.  Careful when using long
studs and spacers.  Mine came loose and I ended up almost walking home with
a destroyed wheel.

        I don't recomend this setup as the steering was slow and handling
did not seem to be improved.  I'm going back to 195/60 15 on my next car.

        I do now have a set of knockoff 15 X 7" minilite repros that I'm
putting on the Sebring fendered GT.  I've got to figure out suitable tires
for these.

Kelvin.