Springs and stuff

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Springs and stuff
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 22:19:18 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
A few years ago I purchased a set of Chrome GT springs and attempted to
install them in the '67.  Way too much arch!  I did note that they had AHC
31 stencilled on them but painted them with poly and installed the springs.
 After doing the lowering block thing and getting a unusual amount of inner
fender rubbing on corners I hit the books.  It seems the AHC 31 is the
rubber bumper GT spring but is supplied by our warehouse for all GT
replacement.

It seem that with the arch the springs would flex in the sideways mode
much, much more than the flat old springs that were tossed.  Removed
springs and took them to the local truck spring shop for a re-arch job.
Before removal we measured the ride height to get a figure for the spring
guy.  It cost $25 for the pair, money well spent.  The problem was it rode
really hard.  So I ordered a set of Chrome rdstr springs.  Yep, they now
come with an inch and a half too much arch.  Back to the spring guy and now
it rides and handles good.  Now the issue was the front of the softer
spring would wrap up and cause terrible wheel hop.  A possible solution
would have been a set of MGC springs that have a extra half leaf in front
to stop the spring wrap.  I opted for a set of sub frame connectors and a
set of track bars with poly bushings.  The rear then stayed more or less
centered and some of the weird torque steer was gone.

The lowering blocks did they job but did not help the handling like the
flattened rear springs did.  FWIW I run GT front springs and a 7/8 sway bar
with 6" Panasports.

I am still fooling with the Holley Pro-Jection.  I am putting the motor
from the '67 into a GT with a 700r4 and may set it up on that.

Camshafts are like golf clubs, every vendor has the best.  I like the
500-230 Crower in a 9to1 compression  215.

I remember something about SD-1 calipers with very minimal mods fitting a
MGB with V-8 rotors.
Jack Emery
Glenburn Maine
207-884-8523