RE: Springs and stuff

To: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Subject: RE: Springs and stuff
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 20:35:03 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
At 06:27 AM 2/2/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Jack,
>You wrote:
>
>"It seems the AHC 31 is the rubber bumper GT spring but is supplied by our
>warehouse for all GT replacement."
>
>It seems to me that you should not have had to jump through the hoops that
>you did - I'm sure both RB and CB springs are still manufactured in the UK -
>therefore why is your warehouse only stocking the one type?

Paul, I agree, but.......
I run a shop....If I can stock oil filters that will fit several
applications with just a few different items then I must do it to remain
competitive.  My suppliers face the same economic issues that I do on a
larger scale.  We get some MGC parts from the UK.  Shipping kills you, and
misery awaits anyone wishing to return an imperfect part.

 Obviously this
>is a cost/labor saving measure, but it means more hassle for the customer!
>Unless someone raises a stink when something like this happens, customers
>will continue to be offered fewer choices, poorer quality, etc.

I am a wholesale account and make my inside sales guys life hell every now
and then.  On the flipside I can buy new rear springs for a 35 year old
foreign car that hasn't sold here for 20 years for $50 each.  It could be
much worse.  All of our recent CB springs for roadsters have about 1 1/2
inches too much arch.  We have tried other sources and they all seem to
come from the same original source.  The steel does NOT appear to be
Birminghams finest either.  30k miles will kill the replacement springs.

>Sorry about the rant, but I continue to see too many situations that are
>driven by the bottom line and stockholder satisfaction, rather than CUSTOMER
>satisfaction.  I may be way off base here, but I had to vent.

Again, I agree but my purchasing only a dozen springs in a year does not
really change their bottom line.  Our real problem is that the alternate
vendors are all fishing in the same polluted pond.

Jack