aluminum radiators

To: MGV8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: aluminum radiators
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:02:50 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Thanks to Larry & Dan for good info & explainations.

Larry mentioned "Be Cool" radiators. I never found a web site for them,
but contacted them about a year ago after reading an article in one of
the hot rod mags, where a hi-po Chevy was running hot-go figure- & the
article was about a radiator swap using a Be Cool replacement. Article
claimed a drop in fit, no mods, 20` temp drop. Some things that were not
factored in included the fact that the original radiator was the
original, & undoubtedly partially clogged, new coolent to replace that
of unknown age & composition. As this was a very large radiator & a car
with lots of good air circulation out of the engine bay, I was not as
impressed with the results as the writer was, & felt the test only
partially addressed the V-8 conversion, none the less, an interesting
test.

I contacted Be Cool to price a modified version of a 1965 Mustang
radiator, which will fit a B V8. After relocating the in & out, and
adding 2 bungs, the cost was over $500.00 US, so I dropped the subject
as too pricey.

My own feelings to date are to spend a few extra dollars to go to 1-1/4"
tubes over 1". I had not looked at the Sirroco model from Griffeth as my
opinion was that it was for dragster use, that is, a few short runs
where light weight was the primary consideration, rather than sustained
driving. Back to the books. The larger size would fit a V8 just fine.

If anyone else is diong some pricing, you may want to start with the '65
Mustang rad as opposed to a total custom. I don't know if there would be
any real savings, but there are some pretty hot old 'stangs out there
with mega motors.

Jim Stuart