Aluminum Radiators

To: <jimbb88@erols.com>, "MG V8 List" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Aluminum Radiators
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 01:47:59 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
> From: Jim Stuart [mailto:jimbb88@erols.com]
> Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2000 7:20 PM

> Larry-
>
> Any update on the aluminum radiator?
>
> Jim Stuart

thought I'd update the list on my aluminum radiator quest.
Remember this radiator is for my 1967 MGB vintage race car.
Some of the info will apply to a V8 conversion, some won't.

So here goes.  Although I am getting close I have not
actually purchased a radiator yet.  I have done a LOT of
research.  Here's what I have found out so far.

There is an aluminum radiator available from MG Motorsports
in England it is a "drop in" radiator.  It is made
especially for the MGB.  I think the price was around
$660.00 US.  Although an easy solution it is a bit pricey.
I don't have much information on this option as a friend of
mine did the leg work on this.

A custom radiator can be purchased.  Most of the custom
aluminum radiators have two rows of tubes.  Typically the
tubes are flat and are 1" or 1.25" wide (core is 3" thick),
some tubes are 1.5" wide (core is more than 3" thick, I
can't remember the exact thickness).  The tubes are
horizontal, therefore "cross flow".  As a result of having
horizontal tubes the tanks are on the ends (sides) of the
core.  If the application requires the inlet and the outlet
in the same tank (on the same side) then the radiator is
generally a double pass radiator, but this should be
confirmed with the manufacturer.  A double pass radiator has
the tank with the inlet and outlet divided.  The water
enters the divided tank and it is routed through only 1/2 of
the tubes, to the tank at the other end of the core, then
back through the other tubes back to the first tank, and of
course out to the engine.  This assures the water goes
through the radiator and not just in the tank and out of the
tank without going through the core.

According to the manufacturers aluminum radiators will cool
about 20% better than "standard" radiators.  There are two
reasons for this.  One, aluminum conducts heat better than
traditional radiator materials.  Two, because the tubes are
flat in aluminum radiators they have more contact with the
cooling fins than the round tubes found in traditional
radiators.

There are two benefits of aluminum radiators; better cooling
and lighter weight.  I'm not sure of the down side, except
maybe price.  If anyone has input on the negatives let me
know.

The only reasonable custom aluminum radiator alternatives
are the radiators from Howe Racing and Griffin Radiator.
Either of those companies can make just about anything you
want.  However, Griffin has a core that can be cut and
modified which is a better fit than anything Howe has.  A
custom radiator from either company will be "around" $375.00
(plus or minus $25) depending on your exact requirements.

Custom radiators start with a variety of "standard" cores.
The height of the core, as well as the standard width, is
determined by the core manufacturer.  The radiator builder
can cut the WIDTH but not height.  (remember these are
designed to be cross flow radiators so shortening the width
means cutting the end of the tubes.)  I believe the reason
they only cut the width is because they make the tanks to
accommodate the height and don't want to mess with custom
tanks.  Tanks come in 1", 1.5", 2" and 3" sizes.  Inlets,
outlets, fillers, petcocks, etc. can be placed anywhere you
want at just about any angle.

The Summit Racing, and JEGS catalogs, show various sizes of
Griffin and Howe *standard* radiators.  The radiators listed
in both of these catalogs are just a small portion of what
Griffin and Howe sell.  You can, however, order other
standard Griffin or Howe radiators through the catalogs.
The radiators are cheaper through the catalogs than they are
from the manufacturers.  Both Griffin and Howe protect their
dealers and will only sell to the public at manufacturers
suggested retail price.

If you are interested in seeing the full listing of their
sizes the manufacturer will send you their catalog upon
request.

I'm not sure yet, but I don't think that Summit or JEGS can
deal with custom radiator orders.

Now having said all that, both Summit and JEGS have a
Griffin radiator that is branded as "Scirocco".  The
catalogs show two options 18.5H X 17W and 13H X 22W.   Both
with right side inlet and outlet.  If you check the Griffin
catalog you'll find that there are 26 configurations of this
radiator (but still only two sizes) , any of which can be
ordered (cheaper) through Summit or JEGS.

Here is what I am thinking I'll do.  I am going to purchase
the 13H X 22W Scirocco radiator.  This radiator will fit
between the inner fenders and above the "frame" rails and
just clear the hood.  Remember this is a 1967 car and the
radiator will fit in the original (further back) location.

On a V8 conversion this radiator will probably not fit
properly.  It would require cutting the "frame" to allow it
to hang down below the apron, because there is less space as
you move the radiator forward.  However I suspect the 18.5H
X 17W one would fit.  It is narrow enough to fit between the
frame, however the 18.5H might be a problem.  It would
require it sit very low under the car.

Griffin Radiator:  864-845-5000 http://griffinrad.com/
Howe Racing Enterprises 517 435-7080
http://www.owossospeedway.com/howe.htm
JEGS High Performance mail order 800 345-4545
http://www.jegs.com/
Summit Racing Equipment 800 230-3030
http://www.summitracing.com/index.htm
MG Motorsports +44 1442 832019

So that just about does it for now, I'll let everyone know
how things turn out.

I have a question.  In both JEGS and Summit there is a Be
Cool radiator.  Has anyone heard of Be Cool, does anyone
have a contact for them?

Larry Hoy