Engine wts and fast Fords

To: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Engine wts and fast Fords
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 17:57:25 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
The 215 block weighs 51 lbs or so. It is an easy one hander.  The Ford is
not.  The biggest reason that I stayed away from the Ford is it is a front
sump motor.  Even with the 'Bird oilpan you can not really get it down like
the 215.  All that aside, after the 215 series the small Ford is the only
logical choice.  In fact we are doing one in a Sebring MGC.  Cheap easy
power.  To be fair comparing engine prices use a 296 cube stroker 215 and a
crate 302...hmmmm.  As far as weight, unless you are a racer 50/50 weight
distribution in a street car feels very similar to 52/48.  The nose weight
actually makes a more stable freeway flyer.  The best part about the Ford
is all that TORQUE!!  Effortless passing and hill climbing.  We can lie to
the civilians all we want but here among friends we all know that a 215 in
5th gear at 60 will not cause whiplash upon sudden throtle opening.  Thats
why we all graduate to stroker motors, eh.

Finding stock replacement Olds flat pistons is a bit of a challenge....it
has to be the right phase of the moon to get 9.6's from Silvolite.  As far
as 250-300 hp from a 215?  It will not be cheap past 225....

In a recent conversation with TS we were playing with a formula he has for
determining HP using known car weights and 1/4 mile speeds.  It was amazing
how close his numbers were.  My car was about dead on.  Yes, Woody is
making 275-290 or so and it was not cheap, like maybe crate motor price.
Tough choice if you factor in bellhousing and tranny costs too.  How long
will the Rover 5spd take 300hp?  The other thing worth noting, the Ford
sounds sooooo good with a decent exhaust system.
Jack Emery
Glenburn Maine
'67 MGB V-8
many others