Re: Engine wts and fast Fords

To: jemery@mint.net, mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine wts and fast Fords
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:59:06 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-11-21 17:53:45 EST, jemery@mint.net writes:

> The 215 block weighs 51 lbs or so. It is an easy one hander.  The Ford is
>  not.

Jack,

Thanks for the info. That would make the Ford at least 76 pounds heavier.

>  The biggest reason that I stayed away from the Ford is it is a front
>  sump motor.  Even with the 'Bird oilpan you can not really get it down like
>  the 215.

If it weren't for that, the Ford engine would have long ago replaced the Chevy
as the number one choice for early street rods - strictly from a size/weight
standpoint. In the TR6, only minor mods to the front crossmember were required
to accommodate a "dual" sump. How much would be required in an MGB?

>  All that aside, after the 215 series the small Ford is the only
>  logical choice.  In fact we are doing one in a Sebring MGC.  Cheap easy
>  power.

Compared to the MGC 6 cylinder, the Ford 302 is a light-weight!  A Ford 302 in
an MGC is just as natural as a BORP in an MGB!

> The best part about the Ford
>  is all that TORQUE!!
>  The other thing worth noting, the Ford
>  sounds sooooo good with a decent exhaust system.

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!!!!

(Just for the record, I am NOT a Ford fanatic. I'm not a Triumph fanatic, nor
an MG fanatic. When it comes to cars, I am completely un-biased - what ever
works is what I want!  I like 'em all! )

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74