Re: Engine wts and fast Fords

To: "Jack Emery" <jemery@mint.net>, <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Engine wts and fast Fords
From: "Mike Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 17:50:26 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
>Finding stock replacement Olds flat pistons is a bit of a
challenge....it
>has to be the right phase of the moon to get 9.6's from Silvolite.
As far
>as 250-300 hp from a 215?  It will not be cheap past 225....

My little bro and I got some high compression 9.6:1 pistons for our
Rover motor.  We got them from a parts house here in Memphis for the
Buick 215.  They weren't flat top though, so I guess the Olds heads
have a larger combustion chamber???

How long
>will the Rover 5spd take 300hp?  The other thing worth noting, the
Ford
>sounds sooooo good with a decent exhaust system.

I agree with Jack and Dan Masters.  I don't think one can get 250-300
HP out of the Rover easily.  My bro and I are busting our tails to get
the 225 out of ours.  Well, not really, but it takes more than just a
regular rebuild.  I think we have close to $2000 into our motor, of
which $1000 was for ported/polished rebuilt heads and full engine
balancing, among other machine work.

And I think that pushing 300 HP would tax the engine design, but I
could be totally wrong.  The Ford 302 and Chevy 350 are the engines of
choice for the hot rod guys, so you know that they are good motors,
easily good for more power.

I think that the 302 and 215 can't be compared in the same sentence.
They are both good at what they do.  The 215 is good for the MGB, but
it would be hell to use it in a nice 50s American coupe.  Just don't
have enough ass behind it.  However, I was thinking, maybe in my later
years of getting a kit car.  Then the Rover might be a nice engine.
Light and powerful, but Dan's words about the 302 sound nice.  More
weight, but you can get a lot of power out of it cheaply.  Maybe
that's why they are so popular.

Jay