Re: [Mg-t] Front Shock Bolts

To: fogbro1@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Front Shock Bolts
From: John Seim <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 08:30:29 -0800
Cc: mg-t@autox.team.net
The hole positions are the same for the front shocks, Girling or Armstrong.
The rear hole positions are different.
The later front wings have a hump in them, to accommodate the taller Armstrong
shocks.

Yes, retapping the threaded holes to US or metric will weaken the threads.

John Seim
Irvine, CA

On Jan 22, 2013, at 8:19 AM, fogbro1@comcast.net wrote:

> Weren't the wing stampings changed to accommodate the Armstrong shocks? I
seem to recall that the Armstrong shocks won't clear the early wings. But my
memory's failed me before.

> And, by the way, retapping the mounting holes to US or metric threads would
certainly weaken the structure.

> Ed Woods

Whitworth
> > fasteners?
> > If we used the 10 mm or 3/8-in. fine should we re-tap the holes to
whatever
> > size?
> > Thanks for any help.
> >

> > --
> >
> > "Gunner"
> >
> > John Gunnell
> > PO Box 87
> > Iola, WI 54945
> > Ph: 715-445-4262
> > Cell: 715-281-5925
> >
> > LIVIN' THE DREAM
> >
> > Please visit Gunner's Great Garage
> >
> > Restoration Shop - Automotive Book Shop - Art Gallery
> >
> > E6110 Fuhs Rd, Manawa, WI 54949
> >
> > Cell: 715-281-5925 (anytime)
> >
> > Take A Slide Show Tour of the Shop at  www.gunnersgreatgarage.com
> >
> > Check my blog Gunner's Garage at www.oldcarsweekly.com
> >

> > Publications and Websites I Contribute To: Old Cars Weekly, Old Cars
> > Restoration Guide, For Vettes Only, Amos Auto Enthusiast Weekly
(digital),
> > Auto Enthusiast (print),  Towing & Recovery Footnotes, Auto Restorer,
> > Vintage Truck, Vette Vues, Free Riders Press, Second Chance Garage,
Garage