Re: Oil Filter Question

To: nels@flightsim.com
Subject: Re: Oil Filter Question
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:40:48 -0500
Nels,
   The metal cannister fits into a small groove in the oil pump, and is
clamped against a flat rubber gasket deep inside the groove.  The gasket
is quite far up in the groove and hard to see. It can be picked out with
a dentist-type pick.  However, it may not be leaking and may be ok for
another installation.
   If you want to install a new gasket, it is important that you pick the
old one out completely.  What makes its removal tricky is that is has
been heated and compressed, so to your fingers and the pick it can feel
like you are scraping the metal, leading you to falsely conclude that it
has been removed. Two gaskets in there are sure to cause leaking.
  The filters are packaged with two gaskets because that filter is used
on different engines with different gasket requirements.  Seems to me
that it was the larger gasket that I used (have since changed to the
spin-on type) but  confirm the gasket to use with others.
Bob

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:32:50 -0500 Nels Anderson <nels@flightsim.com>
writes:
> Now that it finally feels like spring here it's time to get the TD
> ready for the road, so I started on my first oil change...and I'm
stuck.

> According to the manuals I have I have to insert a rubber gasket
> when I reinstall the oil filter. But where exactly? When I removed the
old
> one I cannot find any evidence of an old rubber gasket (which I know
I'm