TD rear axle

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: TD rear axle
From: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 16:49:33 -0600
Hi all, I just got my TD on the road after a restoration. After 12 miles it
began to make noise in the rear. My wife popped the clutch on a hill and
there was a pop noise. The drive shaft now turns freely by hand. When she
was towing me home, I could hear a noise from the rear end.  A rubbing
sound.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed? I've never worked on a rear axle.I
really know nothing of the history of the car except it has been in pieces
for 25 years.

Is there something I can check and fix on my own? Or do I pull the axle and
drag it down to my local MG mechanic? I read the manual and it seems unlike
a do-it-yourself proposition.

Thanks, Mike