Re: Matching paint/parts question, MG-TF

To: "SCC" <campbe6274@earthlink.net>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Matching paint/parts question, MG-TF
From: "Gene Gillam" <anngene@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:18:26 -0600
Scott,

Clausager's book, "The Original MG T Series", on page 94 tells what to look
for:

"The maker's guarantee plate on the TF was found on the left-side of the
bulkhead (firewall) at the end of the toolbox and quotes both the chassis
number (or car number) and the engine number.  A TF chassis number prefix
would normally start with the letters HD, H for MG Midget, D for open
two-seater bodywork.  These were followed by a third letter which indicated
the paint colour and may be decoded as follows:

A - Black
B - Light Grey (Birch Grey)
C - Red (MG Red)
E - Green (MG Green, or Almond Green)
H - CKD finish (primer) found on CKD cars
P - Ivory

Next was a number which indicated the specification class, as follows:

1 - right-hand drive home market cars
2 - right-hand drive export cars
3 - left-hand drive export cars
4 - North American export cars, with left-hand drive
5 - CKD cars with right-hand drive
6 - CKD cars with left-hand drive

The final numbers in the prefix indicated the paint finish, and the
following may be found on a TF:

3 - all-cellulose paint finish (normal on green TFs)
5 - primer finish, found on CKD cars
6 - cellulose finish on body, and synthetic finish on wings(normal on TFs in
all colours other than green.

A number '4' would indicate metallic paint finish, but although some TFs
were finished in Metallic Green, these still had the figure '4' in the
prefix.

Typical code examples would be HDE 13 (a green home market car) or HDC 46 (a
red North American car)."

I hope the above will be of help to you in determining what you're getting.

Sincerely,

Gene Gillam
1949 MG TC

P.S. - I don't know what you're shopping for but I have a friend that has a
restored TF that's for sale - I can put you in touch with him if this deal
falls through for you.