Re: All-Metal filler

To: fprecht@mail.frostburg.edu
Subject: Re: All-Metal filler
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:40:25 -0600
I used this stuff extensively on my Midget this past fall.  It is very
difficult to sand, but it does have a lot more strength and integrity
than regular Bondo-type fillers.  I used it particulary in places where
the metal was weak from rust or where I needed to fill areas that I had
welded a patch behind.  Many people use a filler with fiberglass for
similar purposes-- where strength is needed.

I don't think it is necessary or easy to use it for small dings and
imperfections.  It is much easier to use a thinner, regular filler for
those.  For pinholes and minor dings, I used something called Icing, but
any two-part putty would work fine.  All-Metal is expensive.  I think I
paid about $70 for a gallon.

BTW, for small holes (1/4" or less) I avoided welding in a patch by
putting a piece of aluminum tape behind the hole, then pushing in
All-Metal.  This was for a race car, mind you, not a concours
restoration.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD