Re: exhaust manifold studs

To: mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: exhaust manifold studs
From: Bulwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:22:42 -0600
Francis:

<<<snip>>>
Should I:
1) go the easy way and use bolts like the PO (easiest but
probably least cosmetically apealing)
<<<snip>>>

I wouldn't as it can make installing the exhaust pipe harder.
Trying to line up the bolts and hold the head pipe is more
difficult.

<<<snip>>>
2) re-tap the stud holes to a larger size and search for larger
sized studs (but I'm concerned about the larger sized studs going
thru the header pipe flange, and also about tapping into the
casting)
<<<snip>>>

I wouldn't unless the other options can't be done as the nuts
come currently close to the pipes.  Larger nuts would be even
more difficult.  You would also have to drill out the head pipe's
holes to fit.  And then there's the chance the gasket holes won't
be big enough.  FWIW don't use the gaskets that are steel on one
side and fiber on the other.  You want the ones which have a
copper layer on both sides.

<<<snip>>>
3) partially weld up the holes, then drill and tap for the
correct studs ?  This seems to be the way to go, but I'm not sure
about welding on the cast manifold and how this would stand up to
the vibration present in the area.  This would also let me use
stainless studs as replacements (where are these availble thru ?)
<<<snip>>>

Cast iron can be very difficult to weld.  I would first see if an
insert would fit, other wise I would consider Helicoil.

BTW these studs are most likely 10x1.5mm or 12x1.5mm metric.

Blake