Re: TD turn signals

To: Lani Spahr <lani_spahr@agilent.com>
Subject: Re: TD turn signals
From: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@BlazeNet.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:32:08 -0500
Lani Spahr wrote:

> Hello everyone -
>
> With all the talk of where to put the units, &c, &c, it got me to thinking
> about adding flashers to my 51 TD. I usually avoid night-time driving
> because no one can see my arm! :-)
>
> Anyway, I looked up the parts in the Moss catalog and they want $180 just
> for the switch and I don't know about the flasher unit. Does anyone else
> make suitable kits for a TD? At what price?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Lani Spahr 1951 TD #5550

Lani,

Most likely buying all of the parts that were used in '53 TDs is the most
correct
way to add turn signals to an earlier car, but as you mention it can be quite
expensive. When I got my TD in 1970 it had an old Signal-Stat add-on turn signal
kit on it that didn't work. I went to a local auto parts store and bought a new
one and it has been on there ever since and worked flawlessly.  Back then there
were still a lot of cars around that, like our TDs did not come equipped with
turn signals, so these switches were common.

I just did a net search for Signal-stat and found a site that supplies the same
switch that I have for $75. Go to
http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/accessories/ssb1.html
Of course inaddition to this you will need the correct sockets at all four
corners to accept the dual filiment bulbs and addition wires to each. The switch
has indicator lights on it and mine came with the flasher also. It also gives
you
four way flashers for those numerous times that you go up hills on the highway
at
less than 40mph! When I did it I also replaced my wiring harness and used a
later
one with the extra wires already there.

Good luck,
Charlie