Re: Cheap Paint

To: Richard Feibusch <rfeibusch@loop.com>, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cheap Paint
From: Bulwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:31:51 -0600
All:

Around here this area body shops will just spray the car with the
paint you specify.  About fifteen years ago, I had my 240Z
repainted after replacing the areas just above the rear wheel
arches.  At the time, I didn't have an electric welder so I had
the shop cut out and replace the arches.  I brought the car home,
did all of the minor dinging, and blending in of the new arches.
I had to replace one rusty front fender.  That was retrieved from
the metal dumpster of the same shop.  It came off a 280 Z and
was  replaced by the shop under insurance work.  I had to do a
little dinging on it also. I striped the car completely of all
chrome so no taping was needed except the windshield, and
backlight.  All other glass was removed.  When I picked up the
car, I was told it was one of the best prep jobs they'd seen by
an amateur.  The only extra work they did was to gray prime the
replacement fender as it was black. As the car is white, the
black under color would have altered the white tone of that
fender.  The total cost for the paint job in 1984 was about $125
using Dupont Centari.