Cheap Paint

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Cheap Paint
From: Chuck <chull@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:58:53 -0800
        In case some one is in need of a paint job, but does not have a lot of
money I thought I would pass along how I am having my wife's TF
painted.  If you can find the color you want at a One-Day Paint, Earl
Schib, or other cheap-o paint place, go with this approach.

        We found a very close match for the color at a local shop.  They gave
me
quart of the paint.  I took off the fenders and all the trim.  I purchased
some good primer and am doing all the prep work my self.  Sanding the
entire car, priming the car, and fixing minor dings and scratches.  Then I
will paint the inside of the finders, the area of the body that is hidden
by the fender and inside the wheel well.  I will also be painting the
inside of the doors, the tub (having removed all the interior body panels),
the dash board, the inside of the bonnet, and the engine compartment
(taking off what I can, masking and covering everything else).  Over spray
is not a big concern.  I will then be putting the fenders back on, using
1/4" spacers to hold them away from the body.  The car is then being towed
to the paint shop where all they will do is a finial sanding and wipe, the
shoot and bake.  When I get the car back I will be putting the new interior
in, the dash back together, the new piping between the fenders and body,
cleaning up the engine compartment, putting on the new top, etc etc etc.

        The new rubber kit and top is costing more then the paint job.  Since
most
of the cost of a paint job is in the prep, here is how to get a reasonable
paint job (good enough to last until I can afford a real paint job) for a
minor price.

Chuck