Re: Cheap Paint

To: Chuck <chull@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Cheap Paint
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:50:54 -0800 (PST)
>      In case some one is in need of a paint job, but does not have a lot of
>money I thought I would pass along how I am having my wife's TF
>painted.  If you can find the color you want at a One-Day Paint, Earl
>Schib, or other cheap-o paint place, go with this approach.The new rubber
>kit and top is costing more then the paint job.  Since most
>of the cost of a paint job is in the prep, here is how to get a reasonable
>paint job (good enough to last until I can afford a real paint job) for a
>minor price.
>Chuck

Chuck,

I have done this before and it can work out all right but allow me to make
a HUGE suggestion:

The paint that they use at "quick painters" SUCKS (all in caps!!!)  It is
not what you want to put on a car that will need to be painted again in the
future - If you insist that they use the paints that they supply in house,
buy the absolute best that they have.  I have found it even better to buy
some better paint from a body shop supply.  We did a '57 Ford retractable
'50s style custom in industrial white and Chevy Marina blue metallic Glasso
(from germany) at Maaco and it came out like a show car! The two gallons of
paint cost an additional $250 but the car will look great for a long long
time. Those guys paint 15 cars a day and get pretty good after a few
months. We also did a Morris Minor in Dupont Centari black at Maaco in
Torrance, CA and it looks great - Both cars were taken down to little bits
and new chrome rubber and interiors were installed.

It is not worth the skimping on paint material quality at the point that
you are in the project. Also, let the shop manager/estimator look it over
and listen to his suggestions about any rough spots and details that you
might have missed and be prepared to pay a bit extra for them to be sorted
out - this happened to me on the Minor and I'm glad that I listened to him
as the job was so much better for the extra $68. If you do this right, for
a few bucks more, you will have a "real" paint job that you will enjoy for
years

Cheers,

Rick Feibusch
Journalist/Appraiser