To Tube or Not to Tube

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: To Tube or Not to Tube
From: "Scott Allen" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 10:00:00 -0000
All,

A short story that ends in a few questions...

So I'm at my parents house and while walking back to my car, (a BGT) my Dad
notices I have a TD wheel in the rear.  I explain that it'd gone flat after
I'd hit a pot hole up on Wisconsin Avenue in D.C., and since then it
wouldn't hold air so I was taking it to a shop to have it properly fixed.
My Dad then points at me and asks in his you should know better and I know
what you're going to say voice, "you don't have tubes in your tires do
you?".

He then goes on to tell me that the TD's rims weren't made not to have tubes
and as such there wasn't enough of a lip on them to hold a bead.  He also
said something about being thankful it was a pot hole I hit that show'd me
the error of my ways and not something more catastrophic, (he never did want
me to get a TD).

Dad owned a '51 for 30 years, so I'll take his advice as gospel, but here's
my questions:

How do you balance the bloody things?  I drove a TC with tubes in it last
year and it was all over the road when I ran it flat-out.

I'm running Firestone 5.6x15 radials.  Moss sells 5.5x15 tubes, and Abingdon
Spares no longer carries them.  Anyone out there know a source for tubes
that'll fit the 5.6x15 tires?

As always, any advice appreciated and thanks in advance.

Still learning,

Scott
52 TD