RE: Oil Pump removal

To: "Rick & Carolyn" <walters@mail.softcom.net>, "mgt" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil Pump removal
From: "Bob Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 08:37:34 -0500
Now My main problem is I can't get the oil pump case off the engine.  Is
there a trick to it.  I have tapped it with a dead blow to no avail.  It
ain't moving.  According to the book I don't have remove the drive gear
as it all comes out with the pump.  Is there a hidden bolt some where
I'm not seeing?  I have the 8 bolts out that hold on the cover and
removed the driven gear like the book says.  It is a late TD with the
intregal oil filter attached.  I'm at a loss.  I even tried rapping it
lightly with a ballpean hammer to see if the shock of metal to metal
would loosen it.  No way, it is on there good.

Rick,
Remove the idler gear shaft out of the block and pump. Make up a spacer tube
and heavy flat washer and screw an  8.0 x 1.0 mm bolt into the end of the
shaft. Keep adding washers as the bolt/hole threads are used up as the shaft
is withdrawn.
After the shaft is removed, you should be able to rotate the oil pump around
the drive gear spigot and it will come off.
I like this method much better than beating the hell out of the pump and
using pry bars.
And there are only the 8-  6.0 x 1.0 mm long bolts holding the pump on.
Let me know how it works.
Bob

TIA

Rick