Oil Pump removal

To: mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Pump removal
From: Rick & Carolyn <walters@mail.softcom.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 22:03:07 +0000
Hi All,

Well I'm at the point of restoration that I started with.  A engine
blowing smoke out the draft tube.  I found a DPO or a scam job
occurred.  On three pistons the top ring was removed.  They are not in
the pan or head.  The forth was broken.  Man I hate shoddy workmanship.
The awful noise I heard before I took her off the road was actually the
bottom skirt of number three piston falling off.  At least it didn't
score the cylinder walls.

Now My main problem is I can't get the oil pump case off the engine.  Is
there a trick to it.  I have tapped it with a dead blow to no avail.  It
ain't moving.  According to the book I don't have remove the drive gear
as it all comes out with the pump.  Is there a hidden bolt some where
I'm not seeing?  I have the 8 bolts out that hold on the cover and
removed the driven gear like the book says.  It is a late TD with the
intregal oil filter attached.  I'm at a loss.  I even tried rapping it
lightly with a ballpean hammer to see if the shock of metal to metal
would loosen it.  No way, it is on there good.

TIA

Rick