Gear Ratios

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gear Ratios
From: "lbprince" <lbprince@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 08:22:02 -0800
Listers,

I would like to know the gear ratios for the 1979 --1982 Datsun B-210 five
speed transmission.  I also would like to know the speedometer cable ratio
(partial turns of the speedo cable for one turn of the driveshaft).  Does
anyone have authoritative data?

Rivergate claims the numbers are:

        Gear                Ratio
        ------                  ------
            1                  3.513
            2                  2.170
            3                  1.378
            4                  1.000
            5                    .846

A Skyhook brochure indicates that the fifth gear number is .812.  In a
conversation with Skyhook some time ago, the figure given for fifth was .82.
Another source claims the number is .80.

I have tried the local Nissan/Datsun dealer, but they couldn't help.  Also,
an old after-market repair manual didn't have the information.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Ben