Re: Solid copper head gaskets

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: Solid copper head gaskets
From: "J.E.A. Rich" <mmmbob@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:30:07 -0600
Cc: MG-MMM <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Terry,

I have never tried a MAP gas torch so I cannot say if it would be hot enough. I have always used oxy-acet' as I have it. It is important to get the gasket to a cherry red colour and then quench it in cold water. That's the way I was taught 70 plus years ago and I've always done it that way. However, I did a Google search a few weeks ago and it said you could just let the gasket cool without quenching, but it didn't say if air cooling was as effective. Heating to cherry red and then quenching produces a limp gasket that works but it still needs some goop. Moss sells an aerosol sealant in a can, Part 387-501, but we didn't have that in the '30's so used grease. It also works!

Cheers, "Bob".

/// http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool