Re: J2, F2, L2 Hood Specs?

To: "Nowlan, Chris" <cnowlan@mossmotors.com>, "MG-MMM" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: J2, F2, L2 Hood Specs?
From: "Tom Metcalf" <mgtom@zoominternet.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:35:23 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Chris,

I can send my F2 kit for you to copy. I think we got it fairly close. Not sure how long the horizontal "D" rear window lasted on these cars, as the only good foto I could find was of the prototype J2. Seems like that shot of the later swept wing J2's on the ass'y line showed a rear window if under magnification. We used the same shape as an original J2 door panel opening, slightly larger.

I searched all over for a suitable red canvas and did find some but it's too light. I have about 1,000 yards if you'd like some. Looked fine in small sample. Looks pink in big chunks. From what I've seen, the original stuff for P's & N's was like wigan, so I ended up using black wigan trimmed in dark red PVC matching the interior. However, on J's, F's, & L's using the color fabric toned to the body, the material was like an early synthetic - impossible to duplicate. It was definitely NOT cotton but it was nowhere near the look of Stayfast, which looks totally outa place on our early MGs. Phil Smith has the original synthetic weather equipment on his F1. Mike Cburn has seen this early stuff, too, which he also believes is the real deal.

I think P & N rear windows were definitely rectangular. Of course, about all theses cars used the triangular flap behind the side screens which snapped in place. I have what looks to be an original black wigan N-Type hood (very fragile) with correct dimensions for the rear window.

I also ended up with some original herringbone straps from a J2 and a PB (both very faded black), so I think I got the bow set location right.

tommm

Since the weather here in New Hampshire seems far less
predictable than California, I guess it time to get serious out getting
a hood made. Does anyone out there have any accurate specs on these
hoods? I do have some excellent info and full size tracings of the side
curtains thanks to Rod Ptak and have the frames but really could use
accurate specs on the rear window and dimensions on the hood straps
which would establish position of the top frame. I realize that the
rear window is D-shaped and have a few period photos in my collection of
pubs. but nothing really decent from the rear.
Is the PA-PB two seater rear window the same?

Does anyone have a source for a truly vintage style hood
material in dark red? Hartz Stayfast Acrylic hood material is available
in red but I would prefer something in 100% cotton to insure that it
fads like crazy and leaks as it should!

Cheers,

Chris

/// http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool