RE: Tyre tubes

To: "Anderson, Phil" <panderson@northpark.edu>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tyre tubes
From: "Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:37:57 +0200
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Phil,

after ever so many flat tyres with outside laced wheels,
during the last 30 years, I am sure, that the main problem is the
difference in diameter of the two rim sides at outside laced wheels,
where the tyre edges are seating on the rims.
The reason for the smaller diameter on the spoke side
maybe is the material needed during manufacturing,
for sinking the holes for the nipples.

When the car is cornering sharply, and it is loaded heavily,
there is a gap developing between rim and tyre-edge,
and the tube is creeping into this gap.
As the wheel turns further, the tube then is squeezed
between rim and tyre, and after getting this bad treatment some
hundred times, the tube is showing cracks, looking like small cuts.

The mountains and valleys in the rim between the nipples,
and protuberant nipples are adding to the problem.

Thick-wall tubes make things better, but can't solve the problem.

Since I build up the nipple-side of the wheels with epoxy and
glassfiber-stripes to the diameter of the no-nipple-side,
I never had any more flat tyre resulting from this circumstance.

I agree that this method sounds very time consuming, and it really is,
but I was near the point to change to non original centre laced wheels,
as Abingdon did whilst producing the TA. (the same problem ??)

A big lathe, taking the 18 or 19 inch diameter wheel, helps a lot.
First clean the rim from dirt and paint, next fill the deepest valleys
with thickened epoxy, then wind a epoxy-soaked glassfibre strap
round the rim, until both sides diameters are the same.
It needs a lot of grinding (with a curved emerypaper-block),
between each layer of glassfibre, and finish the result smooth.
Renewing a spoke, still is possible.

If somebody needs more info, I could send photos off-list.

Gerhard Maier