Tyre tubes

To: <panderson@northpark.edu>
Subject: Tyre tubes
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:01:18 -0700
Cc: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Phil,

You didn't say whether your tires were new as well but, if they are, the
problem might lie in them. For a while (and it may still be happening)
manufacturers were putting a small I.D. tag inside their tires in response
to some government mandate, I believe. These tags were made of a very stiff,
plastic-like material which had sharp corners. Since most tires are run
without tubes these days, few people had problems. However, when a tube was
present, the tag would chafe holes in the tubes. The fix, of course, was to
look for and remove the tag before installing the tube. We dealt with a
number of punctured tubes until we discovered what was happening. Maybe this
is the cause of your "identical small tears"?

Lawrie