Re: Tyre tubes

To: panderson@northpark.edu, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tyre tubes
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:54:50 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
In a message dated 7/21/2005 7:29:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
panderson@northpark.edu writes:

> I am curious about the experience of others and any recommendations as
> to tubes or dealing with the perennial spoke problem.

I have had this problem on my TA forever!  Carry two spares now.
Its the outside laced wheels that are the problem....most flats are on the
rear tyres.  On tight turns, the tyre leans over off the wheen and the tube
sneaks in to find any burr left on the end of a spoke nipple.  I found that
during
spoke replacement, the  wheel shop would as a final step take a die grinder
and cutoff the extra spoke and the top of the nipple leaving a knife edge on
the nipple....after a short time, this edge cuts through your rim tape and then
your tube.  The nipples must be carefully worked down with a file so that
there is no sharp edges.....even so, I still get the occasional flat.  Tubes
these
days are not very good.

I bought once a very heavy tube and drove the TA up to Calgary Canada for a
meet.....it exploded in Oregon from heat build up....ya just can't win!!
Terry in Oakland, CA