There is life out there!

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: There is life out there!
From: "Nowlan, Chris" <cnowlan@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 13:31:16 -0800
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Guys,

        It's nice to see so many opinions on a difficult subject. Now how
about discussing subjects that we can actually do something about!  There is
a huge amount of MMM knowledge and experience on this list, lets keep the
dialogue going and see if we can't help each other out and get some cars on
the road.

        I haven't been driving the J2 much of late but am continuing to make
good progress with the restoration of L2002.  I did sort out my collection
of genuine Rotax ign coils this weekend and "roadtested" them on my TC to
insure they actually worked.  Two out of three did which at least gives me a
spare.

        Since my car was originally fitted with a petrol lift pump, I'm
planning on retaining it in spite of the period Marshall 87 beltdriven
blower that I've acquired. (Thanks Pip & Pete ! )  Does anyone know for sure
if I can simply pump thorough the Petrollift and mount a pair of SU at the
back?

        Who is the real wizard on IZ87 Marshall superchargers?  These were
produced for L's, K's and N's by the origianal Marshall Drew Company.   My
carb to blower manifold has three deep ribs which do cause a minor clearance
problem with the bonnet side panel.  I can easily trim these down but am
reluctant to botch such a rare item.  This would not be necessary on K's,
N's and perhaps even L1's. Does anyone know if a slightly different manifold
was supplied for use on L2's?

        Does anyone know of any documented supercharged L2's pre-war?

        I have a prewar 1 3/8" SU but a J4 type circular flange 1 5/8" would
be a perfect fit on the manifold.  Does anyone know what carb was really
used?
I may end up with a new cylinder block as mine is quite badly cracked.  A
long stroke, 60mm block would make for real performance !!

        There are apparently 3 sources of repro 6 cyl. blocks, Bob Jones,
Peter Green via Gerhard Maier? and Tom Dark or possibly Peter Gregory?
Which of these is the best?   I thought I heard some are very heavy.  I
would want a repro block that is visually indistinguishable from the correct
KC block.

        As an aside, we really have the K3 replica guys to thank for the
great parts availability on some very rare bits !

        As a point of trivia, my block is correct but has Never been stamped
with an engine #.  Apparently is was a new block replaced outside of
Abingdon or the # would have been re-stamped.

        Some wanna-be fake K3 builder could build up a whole car around this
cracked block. I could even help him spin the yarn about how it was buried
under concrete at Abingdon when they were cleaning out the racing dept at
the start of WWII!   Heck, I've even got a real K3 spark plug to go with it
!

        Now, anyone want to buy a hatchet??

Cheers,

Chris Nowlan