Re: K3 Fakes etc

Subject: Re: K3 Fakes etc
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 11:31:14 -0600
Cc: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Greetings from USA:

I know you're tired of this thread, but I am interested in the opinion
and stance of the MGCC or those in England.

I have what may be the only "known" remains of YD3/1789, a MGA twin
cam.  Yes I know this is a MMM list but the question is pertinent to the
thread.  Before I ask the question, I need to give some data.

The "car" came as extras with the purchase of several twin engines,
assembled and apart.

It consists of:
1) Engine: disassembled so I don't know which block is correct, but I
have the number tag.
2) Removable sheet metal:  Boot & bonnet, wings, doors, (all black with
red trim) and YD3/1789's build plate screwed to a door.
3) Heater
4) Front calipers
5) Suspension for one side which includes the disk with hub nuts.  MGCC
records indicate that 1789 came with hub nuts not spinners, heater,
black with red trim.
6) Tach.
7) Fuel gauge
8) Heater controls
9) Brake master cylinder
10) Clutch master cylinder and slave
11) Other miscellanious components
12) Papers about 1789 concerning some transaction with the California
DMV.

I have done the following:
1) Contacted all state licensing bureaus for records on 1789.  Those
that responded said they have no records.  California states YD3/1789
isn't licensed there.
2) Obtained a rusty twin cam frame, number currently not readable.
3) Obtained a late 1500 body to convert to twin cam specs.

QUESTION:

If I finish the "car" to the original specifications for yd3/1789, what
do I have?
1) Fake
2) Replica ( guess that doesn't exist)
3) Nothing