Re: K3 Fakes etc

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: K3 Fakes etc
From: "Neil Sherry" <neil@sherry02.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 10:43:43 -0000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
"The Vintage Sports Car Club, based just up the road from be here in the
UK at Chipping Norton, have come close enough to solving some of
these problems"

And still there are debates, arguements and loopholes. The recent one
sparked by the editorial of the VSCC Bulletin was concerning copies and
especially those created from scratch.
Whilst I would agree with the concern over misrepresentation and  I can
sympathise with the owner of the original, rare car that is somehow devalued
by the existance of many copies/fakes/replicas - I am more upset by the loss
of so many remaing K1, KN and other 'donor' cars that are still being
destroyed to allow the replicas/fakes to be made. This is especially so when
changes are made that are irreversible, or where original bodies etc are
lost for ever.
If we are talking about Ford Escorts (or perhaps even J2's and PA's) then,
yes, the owner has the rights to modify or change the vehicle. But when we
are considering cars which have some historical importance as (perhaps one
day) the last K1 tourer or KN saloon, then surely there should be some
hinderence to the would be special builder - even if it is only in the
non-recognition of the resulting recreation.
Here in the UK there is a system of 'Listing' of old buildings, based on
their age, originality and historical significance. There may well be cases
where the system doesn't work 100% satisfactorily, but generally there is
some level of control over the alterations that can be made to listed
buildings.
Maybe the time will come when some control over old cars other than market
forces should prevail.

Neil