Re: rings rotating?

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rings rotating?
From: "atrav" <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 21:42:10 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>

> WOW, new word for the day, "cylindricity."  I like it.  Just a question,
> John, as you seem to be the expert in this area, what is your opinion of
> Total Seal rings?  I was considering running them, is there any advantage to
> the "gapless" approach?
>
> Thanks in advance.  Dale

That reminds me of a related question. Some of my machinists friends have this
running discussion
about how easy a newly assembled short block should rotate. Think generic
American V-8, assembled
correctly, with lube, etc.
The one who builds drag race engines will have short blocks that are very, very
easy to rotate by
hand. The other just built an engine with the Total Seal rings, and found it
was much harder to
rotate. It caused a disassembly of the engine, but everything was OK, and hard
to rotate again on
reassembly. Currently he's calling Total Seal to see what's up, but I guess my
question is......is
there a good torque spec or some quantifiable measurement of how easy they
should rotate when
freshly assembled?
-Aron-