Re: Traction Control

To: Dan <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Subject: Re: Traction Control
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:47:15 -0400
Dan I will leave it alone for now as I seem to have the ability to cause great
hate and discontent with the LSR community.. But I suspect that those F-1 guys
are pretty talented with or without traction control.. Also seems like a safety
thing for those not herding 'puppies' or maybe puppies of a larger breed. But my
question does remain can I make a pass for time only if I am using traction
control as an experiment to see if it is worth the fight to get it considered? I
mean why fight the battle if there is no benefit at all? I am sure all the guys
with the long course streamliners have a great interest in this subject. No
matter how they get the car down the track my hat is off to those guys, and
anyway you do it is a major accomplishment. In all honesty I think the genie has
been out of the bottle for a very long time and I am willing to bet I can find
quite a few systems running on the salt now...... It is completely unenforceable
to be honest. The smart move would be to disallow anything that takes over for
the driver and activates the brakes or throttle without driver input or over
ride.
Dave

Dan wrote:

> F-1 has found it impossible to enforce this rule.
> I think SCTA would be wise to make the traction control rule
> match reality and delete all references to it.
>
> And CART has not allowed it. Interviews with CART engineers make reference to
> their disappointment with F1 in allowing traction control. The question is -
> who has the most credibility?
>
> My understanding with the F1 traction control problem is the software is
> embedded within all the other controls, pit lane speed, anti-stall in case of
> spin, single time start, etc. The mapping is then wiped out when the "black
> box" is removed from the car for inspection.
>
> We do not race for the vast sums involved as F1 and CART. The felling is that
> "our" drivers are a part of the equation and to take the driver out of the car
> diminishes the thrill. I guess if a person wanted to circumvent the current
> rules and use TC the risk of a 3 year suspension and the lost of respect of
> your peers is a small price to pay.
>
> I personally like to throttle the puppies, you only get a few minutes each
> year to exercise your investment. Remember a few years ago we only had
> Speedweek as the other events did not exist.
>
> Dan W

///