PISTON EXPANDERS ( ??? ), MARVEL CARBS ( ??? )

To: saltracer@awwwsome.com, ardunbill@webtv.net, ARDUNDOUG@aol.com,
Subject: PISTON EXPANDERS ( ??? ), MARVEL CARBS ( ??? )
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:43:45 EST
      I think one of the great things about living is you can' t really go
a day without learning something or other new or interesting ......
      I recently got three old issues of Motor West Magazine on eBay,
and they are from the years 1935 / 36 / 38 .  This was an automotive
trade publication for the Pacific Region, and they are loaded with the
automotive shop talk, news, statistics, and procedures, tools and
equipment from that era .  I came across an ad for Perfect Circle
PISTON EXPANDERS,  for cars with aluminum pistons, which was
47 % of the cars in service, it stated . These are a spring steel deal
that appears to be about 3 " wide, goes inside the piston, and has a
hole on both opposing sides where the wrist pin goes through .
      I had never seen or heard of these before, and guess they would
have only been for the split skirt type of piston .  Looks to me like
just more reciprocating weight .... any of you long time engine gurus
on our list have any experience with, or comments, on these ......
have they gone the way of the buggy whip ?
     I also learned that Jahns Pistons was in business in 1935 ......
the year of my arrival ..... and 25 years before I bought that brand
for my first Chev small block .  The ad shows their address as
2662 Lacy Street in Los Angeles ( NO zip, of course )
             Lots of neat reading here ......
makes these COLD winter months a little better !
                     Bruce
who also found out that, for 1935, La Fayettes, and SOME model
Buicks, came equipped with MARVEL carburetors ......
     I' ve seen, owned, and tampered with a whole bunch of
different carbs in the last fifty years ...... but can' t recall EVER
seeing, or hearing of, a  MARVEL  carb .......
       THE  OLDER  YA  GET  THE  MORE  YA  REALIZE
                     HOW  LITTLE  YA  KNOW  !
PS :   For everyone EXCEPT my pal Tony RACE427 Greco ......
                           who  HATES  carbs .......
         Anybody out there own a FISH  carburetor ???
( once proclaimed to be THE  ANSWER to your mileage worries )

///
///