healeys

Re: [Healeys] Recent 100M on BAT

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>, Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Recent 100M on BAT
From: josef-eckert--- via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 19:14:59 +0100 (CET)
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
References: <PH7P221MB1007886F0723E0EFEFCB78C3D48CA@PH7P221MB1007.NAMP221.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM> <39821d9b-ea7b-4a53-b698-d3563d874793@comcast.net> <CAGfzsZdUxjxb4Z3aPT5RgKzxT7tRj435g_nHJQ2z3Vq19sFZ4g@mail.gmail.com> <4f3a085a-8c16-470e-9cc2-618fb1cfed07@comcast.net> <1702665116940.1168058.8a006dc4664b73b32cc87c61b96c39d275336eb9@spica.telekom.de> <CAB3i7LLe1eYzRUztKOcVcRT=WK_8QcHNBA5WR85gKvX7d=hT=g@mail.gmail.com> <edff0cc1-ab70-46c3-b532-1647cd1cab8c@comcast.net> <CAPTa0B5FFKbZyBNszuXUsAf6UwK-xJBtOSn7bHCFyiHt66DTNg@mail.gmail.com> <cf035b74-3df3-41dd-9038-1498821d2640@comcast.net>
--===============2974516422427933255==
        boundary="----=_Part_1429980_970563996.1702750500072"

------=_Part_1429980_970563996.1702750500072

As far as I can see here in Europe, the market for Austin-Healeys and=20
comparable vehicles from the 1950s has collapsed extremely. It's like the=
=20
pre-war vehicles. They can no longer keep up with today's traffic and on=20
motorways they are quite problematic due to the high traffic density and=20
the many trucks that also recklessly swerve to overtake. A 100M and also a=
=20
100 are no longer in demand. The clientele that still knows Austin-Healey=
=20
from her past is almost extinct. Hardly anyone has met Donald Healey here.=
=20
I'm 66 years old now and didn't know him either. I saw Geoff once before he=
=20
died, but we knew Margot quite well, having met through friends. But back=
=20
to the 100M. Hardly anyone here knows the difference between a 100 with a=
=20
LeMans kit and a 100M. All of these are then usually offered as 100 Le=20
Mans. If a genuine 100M is actually offered, the price is slightly higher=
=20
than for a comparable 100, but not by a factor of 2. Nobody actually pays=
=20
that here. There is also non who would pay 100K$ for a 100 or 100M. But as=
=20
I said, Austin-Healeys are slow sellers and the 3000 BJ8 Ph2 is most in=20
demand because it offers just enough comfort. But younger people don't want=
=20
these old cars at all. They are looking for a BMW, Porsche or something=20
else from the 70s or 80s that also offers more safety and comfort and that=
=20
they know from their youth. Lower priced british cars like MG Bs are also=
=20
out. They are too expensive compared to a Mazda MX-5, or Jaguar XK8 which=
=20
are definitely the better cars compared.
Btw.: The Austin-Healey clubs here have gotten pretty tired. The beautiful=
=20
events like International healey Weekends that were offered 20 years ago=20
are no longer offered in thre former glance for a long time. There are=20
hardly any active people willing to do work for the clubs anymore. Those=20
who do it are also a good 70 years old and what is then done is not really=
=20
inviting. Many people now stay away from these events which are expensive,=
=20
but not inviting.
=20
Josef Eckert