healeys

Re: [Healeys] Recent 100M on BAT

Subject: Re: [Healeys] Recent 100M on BAT
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 21:36:33 -0800
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
References: <PH7P221MB1007886F0723E0EFEFCB78C3D48CA@PH7P221MB1007.NAMP221.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM> <39821d9b-ea7b-4a53-b698-d3563d874793@comcast.net> <CAGfzsZdUxjxb4Z3aPT5RgKzxT7tRj435g_nHJQ2z3Vq19sFZ4g@mail.gmail.com> <4f3a085a-8c16-470e-9cc2-618fb1cfed07@comcast.net> <1702665116940.1168058.8a006dc4664b73b32cc87c61b96c39d275336eb9@spica.telekom.de> <CAB3i7LLe1eYzRUztKOcVcRT=WK_8QcHNBA5WR85gKvX7d=hT=g@mail.gmail.com>

--------------AGim7uDRruC5br2ap7umLzP0

The M was rated at 110HP--more if you got the optional branch
extractor--as opposed to a stock BN2's 90HP. That's a 22% increase in
power; I'd call that significant. Also, how do you 'hang' a camshaft and
pistons on an engine (the mechanics were supposed to pull the engine,
but if DMH and Geoff weren't around they'd cheat and do the mods in situ)?

I think at least part of the value of an M is that it made an appearance
at the Healey factory, possibly with DMH and/or Geoff in attendance, as
opposed to just coming off the Austin assembly line. Also, the
modifications were, for the most part, the same as made to the cars that
ran at LeMans in '52 ('53?) and came in 13th (or 14th) overall. When
customers started asking for the same modifications DMH first sold a
kit, then the complete car (anyone remember 'Race on Sunday, sell on
Monday?').

I'd say the market has spoken, since genuine M cars command a
significant price premium (hence why of the original, documented 640
cars only 3,000 remain).

bs

On 12/15/2023 2:16 PM, Michael Salter wrote:
> [...]
>                 a light it different directions to just make out the
>                 slight evidence of filled holes (4 of then for the two
>                 relays). And I was able to reach inside the vent just
>                 below that area with my fingers and feel the welds and
>                 welding wire that was used to fill those 4 holes. I
>                 can tell you someone took great care to try and make
>                 those holes seem as they never existed.  Along with
>                 that, where a BN2 would have the single OD relay
>                 attached to the firewall with machine screws screwed
>                 into welded captive nuts on the firewall,  you can see
>                 plain sheet screws were used to mount it in what would
>                 be a BN2 relay position.
>                 I also feel the engine tag is a repo because of the
>                 lighter stamping. Originals tend to have the numbers/
>                 letters stamped with a deeper end result.  I took my
>                 repo engine tag along to compare, and they appeared
>                 identical in the stampings. The body/ bath tag and VIN
>                 plate appear original. Now that doesn't mean that the
>                 engine isn't the correct M engine, because there could
>                 be many reasons why the engine tag was replaced.
>                 Anyone who drove a stock 100 compared to a 100M can
>                 attest to the difference in power, and Mike stated
>                 that it indeed has that M power.
>                 The boot lid shows no evidence of the stay bracket
>                 being swapped off another lid, and if you look closely
>                 you can see that the boot shows some previous
>                 age/life. I'd believe it to be original. I could not
>                 make out any evidence of the bonnet number being
>                 sliced in from a M bonnet, but I will say that the
>                 underside of the bonnet seemed suspiciously clean and
>                 prestine. I couldn't detect any age like the boot, but
>                 that would be for someone else to decide.
>                 Mike had asked me if the cold air box was original,
>                 and I simply don't have that experience to know. I
>                 have anyways heard if it looks old, it's original.  It
>                 does indeed look to have some age, so?
>                 I feel at some point in this car's life someone went
>                 to some effort to try and conceal that these 100M
>                 parts were reinstalled on a BN1 chassis. Another
>                 interesting note is that there was an attempt to fill
>                 the holes where a BN1 chassis plate is fitted on the
>                 frame rail. Perhaps the person didn't realize that the
>                 holes continued over to the BN2's, and thought they
>                 were erasing evidence of a BN1 chassis?
>                 With all that said, Mike is simply trying to represent
>                 the car correctly. The car is a very nice car! Paint
>                 is very nice, car is straight, and gaps look good.
>                 Interior is very nice, and looks to be a very good car
>                 all around. I didn't drive the car, but Mike has years
>                 of experience under his belt, so I'd trust his
>                 opinions on that. With the quality of the
>                 restoration,  it is surprising that the front frame to
>                 shroud brackets were not welded to the frame. Chrome
>                 looks good, and I'd think winning some trophies at a
>                 popular vote car would not be an issue.
>                 The Millers
>
>                 "Always drive them, but remember each drive in an

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
    The M was rated at 110HP--more if you got the optional branch
    extractor--as opposed to a stock BN2's 90HP. That's a 22% increase
    in power; I'd call that significant. Also, how do you 'hang' a
    camshaft and pistons on an engine (the mechanics were supposed to
    pull the engine, but if DMH and Geoff weren't around they'd cheat
    and do the mods in situ)?<br>
    I think at least part of the value of an M is that it made an
    appearance at the Healey factory, possibly with DMH and/or Geoff in
    attendance, as opposed to just coming off the Austin assembly line.
    Also, the modifications were, for the most part, the same as made to
    the cars that ran at LeMans in '52 ('53?) and came in 13th (or 14th)
    overall. When customers started asking for the same modifications
    DMH first sold a kit, then the complete car (anyone remember 'Race
    on Sunday, sell on Monday?').<br>
    I'd say the market has spoken, since genuine M cars command a
    significant price premium (hence why of the original, documented 640
    cars only 3,000 remain). <br>
    bs<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LLe1eYzRUztKOcVcRT=WK_8QcHNBA5WR85gKvX7d=hT=g@mail.gmail.com">
        mentioned there isn't that much to hanging the "modification "
        parts on any 100.
          performance modifications,  say like an "M" series BMW, which
          could not be easily copied, then I would consider them be very
          special.
            "M" so would not be surprised to see the "Registry" fade
            away.</div>
          p.m. josef-eckert--- via Healeys, &lt;<a
            href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
            <pre id="m_-8948067483587624533tw-target-text" dir="ltr"
            style="text-align:left"><span
style="font-size:12pt;font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif" lang="en">What
[...]

style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;color:#000000;text-decoration:none"> </span></p>
style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;color:#000000;text-decoration:none"> </span></p>
              BAT</p>
                href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; target="_blank"
                rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true"
                class="moz-txt-link-freetext">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;</p>
                href="mailto:healeyrik@gmail.com"; target="_blank"
                rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true"
                class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeyrik@gmail.com</a>&gt;</p>
              style="color:#000000;font:12px Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">Note
              the Registry will also certify 'Le Mans Conversions,'
              which may be what Kent's nasty is/was. Some have noted you
              can build a 'better M' with aftermarket parts (Isky cam,
              alloy head, SBC, etc.). <br>
              I don't think either Kilmartin or Jules makes a 100
              chassis, but I'd be somewhat more sympathetic to that, but
              not so much hanging an M body and parts on a BN1 (a BN2,
<em>maybe</em>).
              The main problem I see is an earnest owner may sell a
              conversion (aka 'counterfeit') with full disclosure, but
              an owner or two down the road the 'Tribute' tag has been
              conveniently forgotten (I'm not all in on 'tribute'
              anything, be they cars or rock bands).<br>
[...]
                    100M cam in the lump!</div>
                    at 1:05â?¯PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a
                      href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; target="_blank"
                      rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true"
                      class="moz-txt-link-freetext">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
                    wrote:</div>
style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid #cccccc;padding-left:1ex">
                      I was one of the commenters on BaT--I joined BaT
                      to comment--but, since I have a BN2/100M I'm not
                      familiar with BN1 differences and could only point
                      out obvious differences with my car (which was
                      completely original as far as I can tell, except
                      for extensive body work). One thing that was
                      somewhat disturbing to me is that the Registry
                      certified this car, while noting some major
                      anomalies (the carbs, for instance, looked to be
                      new and didn't have the hand scribing like my
                      car). <br>
                      The other thing that interested me is, how do you
                      value this car? Yes, it's a very nice car,
                      probably a good driver but, IMO, its value <em>should</em>
                      be less than a comparably restored, original BN1
                      or BN2. And, what did the previous owner know, or
                      should have known about this car? How do you
                      present it for sale; as a BN1 with 'M bits?' It
                      would need the proverbial asterisk alongside the
                      page title.<br>
                      Bob<br>
style="font-family:inherit;font-size:inherit;color:inherit;background-color:transparent">
                            might find my observations interesting.  So
                            I went down to Michael's motor cars to help
                            him determine if the 100m indeed has a BN1
                            chassis. Here is what I found.</div>
                            rolled pressings. It has the BN1 front brake
                            hose frame mount the is less pronounced
                            welded BN1 bracket, as the later cars have a
                            bolted on bracket. The front shock towers
                            have no evidence of being replaced and show
                            the factory welds. The gearbox mount shows
                            non-original/factory welds as if it were
                            replaced to accommodate the BN2 mount. </div>
                            where a BN1 has two OD relays mounted under
                            the dash, it took shining a light it
                            different directions to just make out the
                            slight evidence of filled holes (4 of then
                            for the two relays). And I was able to reach
                            inside the vent just below that area with my
                            fingers and feel the welds and welding wire
                            that was used to fill those 4 holes. I can
                            tell you someone took great care to try and
                            make those holes seem as they never
                            existed.  Along with that, where a BN2 would
                            have the single OD relay attached to the
                            firewall with machine screws screwed into
                            welded captive nuts on the firewall,  you
                            can see plain sheet screws were used to
                            mount it in what would be a BN2 relay
                            position. </div>
                            because of the lighter stamping. Originals
                            tend to have the numbers/ letters stamped
                            with a deeper end result.  I took my repo
                            engine tag along to compare, and they
                            appeared identical in the stampings. The
                            body/ bath tag and VIN plate appear
                            original. Now that doesn't mean that the
                            engine isn't the correct M engine, because
                            there could be many reasons why the engine
                            tag was replaced. Anyone who drove a stock
                            100 compared to a 100M can attest to the
                            difference in power, and Mike stated that it
                            indeed has that M power. </div>
                            stay bracket being swapped off another lid,
                            and if you look closely you can see that the
                            boot shows some previous age/life. I'd
                            believe it to be original. I could not make
                            out any evidence of the bonnet number being
                            sliced in from a M bonnet, but I will say
                            that the underside of the bonnet seemed
                            suspiciously clean and prestine. I couldn't
                            detect any age like the boot, but that would
                            be for someone else to decide. </div>
                            original,  and I simply don't have that
                            experience to know. I have anyways heard if
                            it looks old, it's original.  It does indeed
                            look to have some age, so?</div>
                            someone went to some effort to try and
                            conceal that these 100M parts were
                            reinstalled on a BN1 chassis. Another
                            interesting note is that there was an
                            attempt to fill the holes where a BN1
                            chassis plate is fitted on the frame rail.
                            Perhaps the person didn't realize that the
                            holes continued over to the BN2's, and
                            thought they were erasing evidence of a BN1
                            chassis? </div>
                            to represent the car correctly. The car is a
                            very nice car! Paint is very nice, car is
                            straight, and gaps look good. Interior is
                            very nice, and looks to be a very good car
                            all around. I didn't drive the car, but Mike
                            has years of experience under his belt, so
                            I'd trust his opinions on that. With the
                            quality of the restoration,  it is
                            surprising that the front frame to shroud
                            brackets were not welded to the frame.
                            Chrome looks good, and I'd think winning
                            some trophies at a popular vote car would
                            not be an issue. </div>
                          "Always drive them, but remember each drive in
                          an antique car is a test drive."</div>
                    Support Team.Net <a
                      href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                      rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
                      moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                    Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
                    Archive: <a
                      href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
                      target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
                      moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                    <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";
                      rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
                      moz-do-not-send="true"

                    Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/healeyrik@gmail.com";

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/healeyrik@gmail.com</a><br>
          Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
            rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com";