healeys

Re: [Healeys] Recent 100M on BAT

To: josef-eckert@t-online.de
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Recent 100M on BAT
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 17:16:06 -0500
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000c908c8060c93bf86

I'm not an "M" guy really because as someone mentioned there isn't that
much to hanging the "modification " parts on any 100.
If the "M" designation involved significant performance modifications,  say
like an "M" series BMW, which could not be easily copied, then I would
consider them be very special.
I understand that Mr Meade has now sold his "M" so would not be surprised
to see the "Registry" fade away.
Just my opinion.

On Fri., Dec. 15, 2023, 1:59 p.m. josef-eckert--- via Healeys, <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> What makes a 100M?
> Very good question and not easy to answer.
>
> In my opinion, an Austin-Healey 100M, especially as the price category is=
 significantly higher than the normal 100,
> is a car that any modification reduces its value. A heavily modified 100M=
 is nothing special. It's a modified 100 and
> no longer an M. But this is my personal opinion. A new chassis would be s=
uch a major modification for me, as would a
> conversion to disc brakes at the front or a conversion to a Weber carbure=
ttors, etc. This would be simply no longer a
> Genuine 100M. I would then rather buy an original Austin-Healey 100 for t=
he same money. But I have to admit, for me
> the hype surrounding the 100M is far exaggerated for what the car is. It'=
s a special model with a little more
> [...]
les
>> seem as they never existed.  Along with that, where a BN2 would have the
>> single OD relay attached to the firewall with machine screws screwed int=
>> welded captive nuts on the firewall,  you can see plain sheet screws wer=
>> used to mount it in what would be a BN2 relay position.
>>
>> I also feel the engine tag is a repo because of the lighter stamping.
>> Originals tend to have the numbers/ letters stamped with a deeper end
>> result.  I took my repo engine tag along to compare, and they appeared
>> identical in the stampings. The body/ bath tag and VIN plate appear
>> original. Now that doesn't mean that the engine isn't the correct M engi=
ne,
>> because there could be many reasons why the engine tag was replaced. Any=
one
>> who drove a stock 100 compared to a 100M can attest to the difference in
>> power, and Mike stated that it indeed has that M power.
>>
>> The boot lid shows no evidence of the stay bracket being swapped off
>> another lid, and if you look closely you can see that the boot shows som=
>> previous age/life. I'd believe it to be original. I could not make out a=
ny
>> evidence of the bonnet number being sliced in from a M bonnet, but I wil=
>> say that the underside of the bonnet seemed suspiciously clean and
>> prestine. I couldn't detect any age like the boot, but that would be for
>> someone else to decide.
>>
>> Mike had asked me if the cold air box was original,  and I simply don't
>> have that experience to know. I have anyways heard if it looks old, it's
>> original.  It does indeed look to have some age, so?
>>
>> I feel at some point in this car's life someone went to some effort to
>> try and conceal that these 100M parts were reinstalled on a BN1 chassis.
>> Another interesting note is that there was an attempt to fill the holes
>> where a BN1 chassis plate is fitted on the frame rail. Perhaps the perso=
>> didn't realize that the holes continued over to the BN2's, and thought t=
hey
>> were erasing evidence of a BN1 chassis?
>>
>> With all that said, Mike is simply trying to represent the car correctly=
.
>> The car is a very nice car! Paint is very nice, car is straight, and gap=
>> look good. Interior is very nice, and looks to be a very good car all
>> around. I didn't drive the car, but Mike has years of experience under h=
is
>> belt, so I'd trust his opinions on that. With the quality of the
>> restoration,  it is surprising that the front frame to shroud brackets w=
ere
>> not welded to the frame. Chrome looks good, and I'd think winning some
>> trophies at a popular vote car would not be an issue.
>>
>> The Millers
>>
>> "Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique car is a test

e mentioned there isn&#39;t that much to hanging the &quot;modification &qu=
ot; parts on any 100.=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto">If the &quot;M&quot; designati=
on involved significant performance modifications,=C2=A0 say like an &quot;=
M&quot; series BMW, which could not be easily copied, then I would consider=
 them be very special.<div dir=3D"auto">I understand that Mr Meade has now =
sold his &quot;M&quot; so would not be surprised to see the &quot;Registry&=
"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri., Dec. 15, 2023,=
 1:59 p.m. josef-eckert--- via Healeys, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex"><div><pre id=3D"m_-8948067483587624533tw-target-text" dir=3D"=
ltr" style=3D"text-align:left"><span lang=3D"en" style=3D"font-size:12pt;fo=
nt-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">What makes a 100M? <br>Very good ques=
tion and not easy to answer.<br><br>In my opinion, an Austin-Healey 100M, e=
specially as the price category is significantly higher than the normal 100=
, <br>is a car that any modification reduces its value. A heavily modified =
100M is nothing special. It&#39;s a modified 100 and <br>no longer an M. Bu=
t this is my personal opinion. A new chassis would be such a major modifica=
tion for me, as would a <br>conversion to disc brakes at the front or a con=
version to a Weber carburettors, etc. This would be simply no longer a <br>=
Genuine 100M. I would then rather buy an original Austin-Healey 100 for the=
 same money. But I have to admit, for me <br>the hype surrounding the 100M =
is far exaggerated for what the car is. It&#39;s a special model with a lit=
tle more <br>horsepower, but not anything particularly special. Its like an=
re>
if;font-size:10pt;color:#000000;text-decoration:none">=C2=A0</span></p>
if;font-size:10pt;color:#000000;text-decoration:none">=C2=A0</span></p>
bspidell@comcast.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">bspidell@comcast=
.net</a>&gt;</p>
aleyrik@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeyrik@gmail.com=
</a>&gt;</p>
Registry will also certify &#39;Le Mans Conversions,&#39; which may be what=
 Kent&#39;s nasty is/was. Some have noted you can build a &#39;better M&#39=
; with aftermarket parts (Isky cam, alloy head, SBC, etc.). <br><br>I don&#=
39;t think either Kilmartin or Jules makes a 100 chassis, but I&#39;d be so=
mewhat more sympathetic to that, but not so much hanging an M body and part=
s on a BN1 (a BN2, <em>maybe</em>). The main problem I see is an earnest ow=
ner may sell a conversion (aka &#39;counterfeit&#39;) with full disclosure,=
 but an owner or two down the road the &#39;Tribute&#39; tag has been conve=
niently forgotten (I&#39;m not all in on &#39;tribute&#39; anything, be the=
h that caveat.=C2=A0 Let&#39;s say one had a rusty factory 100M that was so=
 bad it needed a new frame.=C2=A0 How hard would it be to transfer the 100M=
 body parts over to a solid BN1 chassis along with the oh-so-valuable chass=
is plate? The 100M Registry seems to focus mostly on the original body part=
s and cockpit surrounds to certify a car. Even cars with non-original engin=
es have been registered. I&#39;m pretty certain Kent Lacy&#39;s Nasty M was=
 on the registry. So is the BaT car still an M?=C2=A0 Some pretty valuable =
race cars have been crashed and fitted with=C2=A0new chassis and still brin=
g big money at auction.=C2=A0
its original motor, or equal replacement, it has lost its character as an M=
. Otherwise, it&#39;s a BN2 with a louvered hood. It&#39;s almost like if a=
 Sunbeam Tiger blew its motor and it was replaced with an Alpine motor. Sur=
e, it&#39;s got the right serial number on the unibody, but it&#39;s not mu=
ch of a Tiger anymore. The BaT car with what appears to be non-original car=
bs and distributor caused me concern. Who would remove those from an origin=
al M motor? C&#39;mon 100M sellers, pop the valve cover, remove the rockers=
 and put a dial indicator on the pushrods so we can see if there is still a=
 100M cam in the lump!</div>
PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; target=3D"_blank=
" rel=3D"noreferrer">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:</div>
left:1px solid #cccccc;padding-left:1ex">
T--I joined BaT to comment--but, since I have a BN2/100M I&#39;m not famili=
ar with BN1 differences and could only point out obvious differences with m=
y car (which was completely original as far as I can tell, except for exten=
sive body work). One thing that was somewhat disturbing to me is that the R=
egistry certified this car, while noting some major anomalies (the carbs, f=
or instance, looked to be new and didn&#39;t have the hand scribing like my=
 car). <br><br>The other thing that interested me is, how do you value this=
 car? Yes, it&#39;s a very nice car, probably a good driver but, IMO, its v=
alue <em>should</em> be less than a comparably restored, original BN1 or BN=
2. And, what did the previous owner know, or should have known about this c=
ar? How do you present it for sale; as a BN1 with &#39;M bits?&#39; It woul=
d-color:transparent">
s interesting.=C2=A0 So I went down to Michael&#39;s motor cars to help him=
 determine if the 100m indeed has a BN1 chassis. Here is what I found.</div=

 front brake hose frame mount the is less pronounced welded BN1 bracket, as=
 the later cars have a bolted on bracket. The front shock towers have no ev=
idence of being replaced and show the factory welds. The gearbox mount show=
s non-original/factory welds as if it were replaced to accommodate the BN2 =
mount.=C2=A0</div>
unted under the dash, it took shining a light it different directions to ju=
st make out the slight evidence of filled holes (4 of then for the two rela=
ys). And I was able to reach inside the vent just below that area with my f=
ingers and feel the welds and welding wire that was used to fill those 4 ho=
les. I can tell you someone took great care to try and make those holes see=
m as they never existed.=C2=A0 Along with that, where a BN2 would have the =
single OD relay attached to the firewall with machine screws screwed into w=
elded captive nuts on the firewall,=C2=A0 you can see plain sheet screws we=
re used to mount it in what would be a BN2 relay position.=C2=A0</div>
Originals tend to have the numbers/ letters stamped with a deeper end resul=
t.=C2=A0 I took my repo engine tag along to compare, and they appeared iden=
tical in the stampings. The body/ bath tag and VIN plate appear original. N=
ow that doesn&#39;t mean that the engine isn&#39;t the correct M engine, be=
cause there could be many reasons why the engine tag was replaced. Anyone w=
ho drove a stock 100 compared to a 100M can attest to the difference in pow=
er, and Mike stated that it indeed has that M power.=C2=A0</div>
nother lid, and if you look closely you can see that the boot shows some pr=
evious age/life. I&#39;d believe it to be original. I could not make out an=
y evidence of the bonnet number being sliced in from a M bonnet, but I will=
 say that the underside of the bonnet seemed suspiciously clean and prestin=
e. I couldn&#39;t detect any age like the boot, but that would be for someo=
ne else to decide.=C2=A0</div>
 don&#39;t have that experience to know. I have anyways heard if it looks o=
ld, it&#39;s original.=C2=A0 It does indeed look to have some age, so?</div=

t to try and conceal that these 100M parts were reinstalled on a BN1 chassi=
s. Another interesting note is that there was an attempt to fill the holes =
where a BN1 chassis plate is fitted on the frame rail. Perhaps the person d=
idn&#39;t realize that the holes continued over to the BN2&#39;s, and thoug=
ht they were erasing evidence of a BN1 chassis?=C2=A0</div>
ly. The car is a very nice car! Paint is very nice, car is straight, and ga=
ps look good. Interior is very nice, and looks to be a very good car all ar=
ound. I didn&#39;t drive the car, but Mike has years of experience under hi=
s belt, so I&#39;d trust his opinions on that. With the quality of the rest=
oration,=C2=A0 it is surprising that the front frame to shroud brackets wer=
e not welded to the frame. Chrome looks good, and I&#39;d think winning som=
e trophies at a popular vote car would not be an issue.=C2=A0</div>
ive in an antique car is a test drive.&quot;</div>
_______________________________________________<br>Support Team.Net <a href=
=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Suggested annual donatio=
n=C2=A0 $12.75<br><br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/hea=
leys" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/p=
ipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"; rel=
=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/=
nk" rel=3D"noreferrer">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br><a href=3D"http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=
scribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/hea=
leyrik@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://au=
quote>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>