healeys

Re: [Healeys] Recent 100M on BAT

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Recent 100M on BAT
From: HealeyRick <healeyrik@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 10:17:56 -0500
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

--0000000000004f6972060c8de8c0

This is all hypothesis based on speculation so take it with that caveat.
Let's say one had a rusty factory 100M that was so bad it needed a new
frame.  How hard would it be to transfer the 100M body parts over to a
solid BN1 chassis along with the oh-so-valuable chassis plate? The 100M
Registry seems to focus mostly on the original body parts and cockpit
surrounds to certify a car. Even cars with non-original engines have been
registered. I'm pretty certain Kent Lacy's Nasty M was on the registry. So
is the BaT car still an M?  Some pretty valuable race cars have been
crashed and fitted with new chassis and still bring big money at auction.

To me, what makes an M an M is the motor.  If an M no longer has its
original motor, or equal replacement, it has lost its character as an M.
Otherwise, it's a BN2 with a louvered hood. It's almost like if a Sunbeam
Tiger blew its motor and it was replaced with an Alpine motor. Sure, it's
got the right serial number on the unibody, but it's not much of a Tiger
anymore. The BaT car with what appears to be non-original carbs and
distributor caused me concern. Who would remove those from an original M
motor? C'mon 100M sellers, pop the valve cover, remove the rockers and put
a dial indicator on the pushrods so we can see if there is still a 100M cam
in the lump!

Happy Healeydays,
Rick Neville

On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 1:05=E2=80=AFPM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> =
wrote:

> [...]
> my fingers and feel the welds and welding wire that was used to fill thos=
> 4 holes. I can tell you someone took great care to try and make those hol=
es
> seem as they never existed.  Along with that, where a BN2 would have the
> single OD relay attached to the firewall with machine screws screwed into
> welded captive nuts on the firewall,  you can see plain sheet screws were
> used to mount it in what would be a BN2 relay position.
>
> I also feel the engine tag is a repo because of the lighter stamping.
> Originals tend to have the numbers/ letters stamped with a deeper end
> result.  I took my repo engine tag along to compare, and they appeared
> identical in the stampings. The body/ bath tag and VIN plate appear
> original. Now that doesn't mean that the engine isn't the correct M engin=
e,
> because there could be many reasons why the engine tag was replaced. Anyo=
ne
> who drove a stock 100 compared to a 100M can attest to the difference in
> power, and Mike stated that it indeed has that M power.
>
> The boot lid shows no evidence of the stay bracket being swapped off
> another lid, and if you look closely you can see that the boot shows some
> previous age/life. I'd believe it to be original. I could not make out an=
> evidence of the bonnet number being sliced in from a M bonnet, but I will
> say that the underside of the bonnet seemed suspiciously clean and
> prestine. I couldn't detect any age like the boot, but that would be for
> someone else to decide.
>
> Mike had asked me if the cold air box was original,  and I simply don't
> have that experience to know. I have anyways heard if it looks old, it's
> original.  It does indeed look to have some age, so?
>
> I feel at some point in this car's life someone went to some effort to tr=
> and conceal that these 100M parts were reinstalled on a BN1 chassis.
> Another interesting note is that there was an attempt to fill the holes
> where a BN1 chassis plate is fitted on the frame rail. Perhaps the person
> didn't realize that the holes continued over to the BN2's, and thought th=
ey
> were erasing evidence of a BN1 chassis?
>
> With all that said, Mike is simply trying to represent the car correctly.
> The car is a very nice car! Paint is very nice, car is straight, and gaps
> look good. Interior is very nice, and looks to be a very good car all
> around. I didn't drive the car, but Mike has years of experience under hi=
> belt, so I'd trust his opinions on that. With the quality of the
> restoration,  it is surprising that the front frame to shroud brackets we=
re
> not welded to the frame. Chrome looks good, and I'd think winning some
> trophies at a popular vote car would not be an issue.
>

> The Millers
>
> "Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique car is a test

h that caveat.=C2=A0 Let&#39;s say one had a rusty factory 100M that was so=
 bad it needed a new frame.=C2=A0 How hard would it be to transfer the 100M=
 body parts over to a solid BN1 chassis along with the oh-so-valuable chass=
is plate? The 100M Registry seems to focus mostly on the original body part=
s and cockpit surrounds to certify a car. Even cars with non-original engin=
es have been registered. I&#39;m pretty certain Kent Lacy&#39;s Nasty M was=
 on the registry. So is the BaT car still an M?=C2=A0 Some pretty valuable =
race cars have been crashed and fitted with=C2=A0new chassis and still brin=
M is the motor.=C2=A0 If an M no longer has its original motor, or equal re=
placement, it has lost its character as an M. Otherwise, it&#39;s a BN2 wit=
h a louvered hood. It&#39;s almost like if a Sunbeam Tiger blew its motor a=
nd it was replaced with an Alpine motor. Sure, it&#39;s got the right seria=
l number on the unibody, but it&#39;s not much of a Tiger anymore. The BaT =
car with what appears to be non-original carbs and distributor caused me co=
ncern. Who would remove those from an original M motor? C&#39;mon 100M sell=
ers, pop the valve cover, remove the rockers and put a dial indicator on th=
e pushrods so we can see if there is still a 100M cam in the lump!</div><di=
n Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 1:05=E2=80=AFPM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bs=
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px s=
olid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

 =20
   =20
 =20
    Excellent report, thank you. <br>
    I was one of the commenters on BaT--I joined BaT to comment--but,
    since I have a BN2/100M I&#39;m not familiar with BN1 differences and
    could only point out obvious differences with my car (which was
    completely original as far as I can tell, except for extensive body
    work). One thing that was somewhat disturbing to me is that the
    Registry certified this car, while noting some major anomalies (the
    carbs, for instance, looked to be new and didn&#39;t have the hand
    scribing like my car). <br>
    The other thing that interested me is, how do you value this car?
    Yes, it&#39;s a very nice car, probably a good driver but, IMO, its
    value <i>should</i> be less than a comparably restored, original
    BN1 or BN2. And, what did the previous owner know, or should have
    known about this car? How do you present it for sale; as a BN1 with
    &#39;M bits?&#39; It would need the proverbial asterisk alongside the p=
age
    title.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
kground-color:transparent">
          following it recently,=C2=A0 you might find my observations
          interesting.=C2=A0 So I went down to Michael&#39;s motor cars to =
help
          him determine if the 100m indeed has a BN1 chassis. Here is
          what I found.</div>
izing:content-box">
          inner fenders with the rolled pressings. It has the BN1 front
          brake hose frame mount the is less pronounced welded BN1
          bracket, as the later cars have a bolted on bracket. The front
          shock towers have no evidence of being replaced and show the
          factory welds. The gearbox mount shows non-original/factory
          welds as if it were replaced to accommodate the BN2 mount.=C2=A0<=
/div>
izing:content-box">
          most interesting is that where a BN1 has two OD relays mounted
          under the dash, it took shining a light it different
          directions to just make out the slight evidence of filled
          holes (4 of then for the two relays). And I was able to reach
          inside the vent just below that area with my fingers and feel
          the welds and welding wire that was used to fill those 4
          holes. I can tell you someone took great care to try and make
          those holes seem as they never existed.=C2=A0 Along with that,
          where a BN2 would have the single OD relay attached to the
          firewall with machine screws screwed into welded captive nuts
          on the firewall,=C2=A0 you can see plain sheet screws were used t=
          mount it in what would be a BN2 relay position.=C2=A0</div>
izing:content-box">
          the engine tag is a repo because of the lighter stamping.
          Originals tend to have the numbers/ letters stamped with a
          deeper end result.=C2=A0 I took my repo engine tag along to
          compare, and they appeared identical in the stampings. The
          body/ bath tag and VIN plate appear original. Now that doesn&#39;=
          mean that the engine isn&#39;t the correct M engine, because ther=
          could be many reasons why the engine tag was replaced. Anyone
          who drove a stock 100 compared to a 100M can attest to the
          difference in power, and Mike stated that it indeed has that M
          power.=C2=A0</div>
izing:content-box">
          shows no evidence of the stay bracket being swapped off
          another lid, and if you look closely you can see that the boot
          shows some previous age/life. I&#39;d believe it to be original. =
          could not make out any evidence of the bonnet number being
          sliced in from a M bonnet, but I will say that the underside
          of the bonnet seemed suspiciously clean and prestine. I
          couldn&#39;t detect any age like the boot, but that would be for
          someone else to decide.=C2=A0</div>
izing:content-box">
          me if the cold air box was original,=C2=A0 and I simply don&#39;t=
 have
          that experience to know. I have anyways heard if it looks old,
          it&#39;s original.=C2=A0 It does indeed look to have some age, so=
?</div>
izing:content-box">
          point in this car&#39;s life someone went to some effort to try
          and conceal that these 100M parts were reinstalled on a BN1
          chassis. Another interesting note is that there was an attempt
          to fill the holes where a BN1 chassis plate is fitted on the
          frame rail. Perhaps the person didn&#39;t realize that the holes
          continued over to the BN2&#39;s, and thought they were erasing
          evidence of a BN1 chassis?=C2=A0</div>
izing:content-box">
          said, Mike is simply trying to represent the car correctly.
          The car is a very nice car! Paint is very nice, car is
          straight, and gaps look good. Interior is very nice, and looks
          to be a very good car all around. I didn&#39;t drive the car, but
          Mike has years of experience under his belt, so I&#39;d trust his
          opinions on that. With the quality of the restoration,=C2=A0 it i=
          surprising that the front frame to shroud brackets were not
          welded to the frame. Chrome looks good, and I&#39;d think winning
          some trophies at a popular vote car would not be an issue.=C2=A0<=
/div>
        =C2=A0<br>
        &quot;Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique car =
is
        a test drive.&quot;<br>
      <pre></pre>

rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
eam.net</a><br>
s/healeyrik@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/options/healeys/healeyrik@gmail.com</a><br>