healeys

Re: [Healeys] Coolant bypass port in the head - 6-cyl

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Coolant bypass port in the head - 6-cyl
From: Elton S <eps2660@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 11:57:05 -0400
Cc: Healey list <Healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000af14ed05db5d7b81

As a related question, what is the direction of flow through the radiator -
up from the bottom or down from the top?
Elton
BJ7

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 11:44 AM Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
wrote:

> As Gary points out, and far as I have been able to figure out, the bypass
> passage is open when the engine is cold, the idea being that by "short
> circuiting" the radiator the coolant in the heater and bypass passage will
> warm up more quickly and the heater will produce heat more quickly.
> We had a slew of the "shrouded " type thermostats that I bought when
> Smiths Canada closed down. The part number was 43570/28 and we used to sell
> them to customers who reported overheating problems.
> I stopped promoting them as a potential solution to overheating issues
> after being taken to task by a customer who did an extensive study of the
> issue and proved, at least to my satisfaction,  that they improved cooling
> not one iota.

> On Tue., Mar. 29, 2022, 10:47 a.m. Alan Seigrist, <healey.nut@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I don't know if this has ever been answered before, but where does the
>> little bypass port begin?
>>
>> What parts of the head does that bypass come in contact with?
>>
>> When do you want to cover the port with a sleeve (when coolant is hot or
>> cold?)
>>
>> I ask because the old bellows style thermostat will cover the bypass port
>> when the thermostat opens
>>
>> then I have another wax thermostat and the sleeve actually cover the
>> bypass when it is cold, and doesn't cover it when the thermostat opens....
>> so it works exact opposite to the old bellows style thermostat.
>>
>> confused....
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/eps2660@gmail.com

--000000000000af14ed05db5d7b81

gh the radiator - up from the bottom or down from the top?<div>Elton=C2=A0=
ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 11:44 AM Michael Salter &=
lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michaelsalter@gmail.com";>michaelsalter@gmail.com</a>&g=
t; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0p=
x 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div d=
ir=3D"auto">As Gary points out, and far as I have been able to figure out, =
the bypass passage is open when the engine is cold, the idea being that by =
&quot;short circuiting&quot; the radiator the coolant in the heater and byp=
ass passage will warm up more quickly and the heater will produce heat more=
 quickly.=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto">We had a slew of the &quot;shrouded &quot;=
 type thermostats that I bought when Smiths Canada closed down. The part nu=
mber was 43570/28 and we used to sell them to customers who reported overhe=
ating problems.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">I stopped promoting them as a =
potential solution to overheating issues after being taken to task by a cus=
tomer who did an extensive study of the issue and proved, at least to my sa=
tisfaction,=C2=A0 that they improved cooling not one iota.</div><div dir=3D=
te"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue., Mar. 29, 2022, 10:47 a.m=
. Alan Seigrist, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healey.nut@gmail.com"; rel=3D"norefer=
uote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1p=
x solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">I don&#39;t kno=
w if this has ever been answered before, but where does the little bypass p=
 bypass come in contact with?=C2=A0<br><br>When do you want to cover the po=
ask because the old bellows style thermostat will cover the bypass port whe=
n the thermostat opens<br><br>then I have another wax thermostat and the sl=
eeve actually cover the bypass when it is cold, and doesn&#39;t cover it wh=
en the thermostat opens.... so it works exact opposite to the old bellows s=
rer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.htm=
l</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/he=
aleys</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferr=
er noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/h=
ealeys</a><br>
get=3D"_blank">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
r noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/li=
stinfo/healeys</a><br>
s/michaelsalter@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gma=
il.com</a><br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
eam.net</a><br>
s/eps2660@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team=
.net/mailman/options/healeys/eps2660@gmail.com</a><br>