healeys

Re: [Healeys] Coolant bypass port in the head - 6-cyl

To: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Coolant bypass port in the head - 6-cyl
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 11:44:20 -0400
Cc: Healey list <Healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000163b9705db5d4e1a

As Gary points out, and far as I have been able to figure out, the bypass
passage is open when the engine is cold, the idea being that by "short
circuiting" the radiator the coolant in the heater and bypass passage will
warm up more quickly and the heater will produce heat more quickly.
We had a slew of the "shrouded " type thermostats that I bought when Smiths
Canada closed down. The part number was 43570/28 and we used to sell them
to customers who reported overheating problems.
I stopped promoting them as a potential solution to overheating issues
after being taken to task by a customer who did an extensive study of the
issue and proved, at least to my satisfaction,  that they improved cooling
not one iota.

On Tue., Mar. 29, 2022, 10:47 a.m. Alan Seigrist, <healey.nut@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don't know if this has ever been answered before, but where does the
> little bypass port begin?
>
> What parts of the head does that bypass come in contact with?
>
> When do you want to cover the port with a sleeve (when coolant is hot or
> cold?)
>
> I ask because the old bellows style thermostat will cover the bypass port
> when the thermostat opens
>
> then I have another wax thermostat and the sleeve actually cover the
> bypass when it is cold, and doesn't cover it when the thermostat opens....
> so it works exact opposite to the old bellows style thermostat.
>
> confused....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--000000000000163b9705db5d4e1a

 out, the bypass passage is open when the engine is cold, the idea being th=
at by &quot;short circuiting&quot; the radiator the coolant in the heater a=
nd bypass passage will warm up more quickly and the heater will produce hea=
t more quickly.=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto">We had a slew of the &quot;shrouded =
&quot; type thermostats that I bought when Smiths Canada closed down. The p=
art number was 43570/28 and we used to sell them to customers who reported =
overheating problems.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">I stopped promoting them=
 as a potential solution to overheating issues after being taken to task by=
 a customer who did an extensive study of the issue and proved, at least to=
 my satisfaction,=C2=A0 that they improved cooling not one iota.</div><div =
il_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue., Mar. 29, 2022, 10:=
47 a.m. Alan Seigrist, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healey.nut@gmail.com"; target=
=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healey.nut@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div=
px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">I don&#39;t know if this h=
as ever been answered before, but where does the little bypass port begin?=
me in contact with?=C2=A0<br><br>When do you want to cover the port with a =
e the old bellows style thermostat will cover the bypass port when the ther=
mostat opens<br><br>then I have another wax thermostat and the sleeve actua=
lly cover the bypass when it is cold, and doesn&#39;t cover it when the the=
rmostat opens.... so it works exact opposite to the old bellows style therm=
rer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.htm=
l</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/he=