healeys

[Healeys] Seized steering box

Subject: [Healeys] Seized steering box
From: "Ron Fine" <ronfineesq@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 05:20:48 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=apFqh/CuklA8yOhU144NPtyQYCKVQZqmN6MOjLqPzb/u1t6FDnp1p9QPWM72ABsBa9xFT1MBbiH1QAbhm6pFEEcQ3UHrO5DGtedtxPcp9PpBQlQWzMMtx0H+YGW9uDs10ByZwgFq1++UM+uKDINI4US25z/NY5h8kDJG0OkB6Y+cH+LlOj79uDn6NUubHAqSXjULCr8Ep691kjt/QJC/3/mJjD9ZKHZfx5q0ivoLL0ykjWSjvUI9Ip6l/ZCGYNcIt35YuK1C2DPJGM1B3lqoDS7hSqhnVS5QqXVRECkDIGncvqcrY/w5PSubZQmdIxoeU7x87dsRoKrUp6uQ3Yx2og==; h=Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:Importance:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--===============0269260128344479223==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_001A_01D6160A.48CDA8D0"

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01D6160A.48CDA8D0
        charset="Windows-1252"

Last summer I installed a new DW steering box in my BN7.  It was =
installed without any adjustments pursuant to the instructions.  I drove =
about 200 miles and the steering box worked as expected.

After about a 6 month pause I took my car out for a short drive =
yesterday and discovered that the steering wheel was very hard to turn.  =
I was only able to get around the block and back into my garage.

I jacked up the front, disconnected the tie rods and confirmed that the =
box has almost frozen up.  Very difficult to turn the steering wheel.

I adjusted out the peg so it would not be causing the problem but the =
bearing or something inside the box is seizing up.  The box is full of =
oil, no leaks.=20

I know what is inside the box since I spend some time 20 years ago =
rebuilding my original box and the only thing I can think of that would =
seize up are the two bearings, but, I can=92t understand why that would =
happen to a new box while the car was resting in my garage for the past =
6 months.

Any ideas as to what to check before I pull this box out again.

Thanks,

Ron
------=_NextPart_000_001A_01D6160A.48CDA8D0
        charset="Windows-1252"

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>Last summer I installed a new DW steering box in my BN7.&nbsp; It =
was=20
installed without any adjustments pursuant to the instructions.&nbsp; I =
drove=20
about 200 miles and the steering box worked as expected.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>After about a 6 month pause I took my car out for a short drive =
yesterday=20
and discovered that the steering wheel was very hard to turn.&nbsp; I =
was only=20
able to get around the block and back into my garage.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I jacked up the front, disconnected the tie rods and confirmed that =
the box=20
has almost frozen up.&nbsp; Very difficult to turn the steering =
wheel.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I adjusted out the peg so it would not be causing the problem but =
the=20
bearing or something inside the box is seizing up.&nbsp; The box is full =
of oil,=20
no leaks. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I know what is inside the box since I spend some time 20 years ago=20
rebuilding my original box and the only thing I can think of that would =
seize up=20
are the two bearings, but, I can=92t understand why that would happen to =
a new box=20
while the car was resting in my garage for the past 6 months.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Any ideas as to what to check before I pull this box out =
again.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>