healeys

Re: [Healeys] Seized steering box

To: Ron Fine <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Seized steering box
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 08:25:07 -0400

--000000000000efd3ba05a3a3dfa0

Actually, in addition to the ball bearings the problem could be the sector
shaft seized in its bush.
If there is a small amount of free movement before resistance is felt I
would look at that.

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020, 8:20 AM Ron Fine, <ronfineesq@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Last summer I installed a new DW steering box in my BN7.  It was installe=
> without any adjustments pursuant to the instructions.  I drove about 200
> miles and the steering box worked as expected.
>
> After about a 6 month pause I took my car out for a short drive yesterday
> and discovered that the steering wheel was very hard to turn.  I was only
> able to get around the block and back into my garage.
>
> I jacked up the front, disconnected the tie rods and confirmed that the
> box has almost frozen up.  Very difficult to turn the steering wheel.
>
> I adjusted out the peg so it would not be causing the problem but the
> bearing or something inside the box is seizing up.  The box is full of oi=
l,
> no leaks.
>
> I know what is inside the box since I spend some time 20 years ago
> rebuilding my original box and the only thing I can think of that would
> seize up are the two bearings, but, I can=E2=80=99t understand why that w=
ould
> happen to a new box while the car was resting in my garage for the past 6
> months.
>
> Any ideas as to what to check before I pull this box out again.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--000000000000efd3ba05a3a3dfa0

uld be the sector shaft seized in its bush.<div dir=3D"auto">If there is a =
small amount of free movement before resistance is felt I would look at tha=
 class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Apr 19=
, 2020, 8:20 AM Ron Fine, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ronfineesq@earthlink.net";>r=
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
ex">
=20
installed without any adjustments pursuant to the instructions.=C2=A0 I dro=
ve=20
about 200 miles and the steering box worked as expected.</div>
day=20
and discovered that the steering wheel was very hard to turn.=C2=A0 I was o=
nly=20
able to get around the block and back into my garage.</div>
e box=20
has almost frozen up.=C2=A0 Very difficult to turn the steering wheel.</div=

=20
bearing or something inside the box is seizing up.=C2=A0 The box is full of=
 oil,=20
no leaks. </div>
rebuilding my original box and the only thing I can think of that would sei=
ze up=20
are the two bearings, but, I can=E2=80=99t understand why that would happen=
 to a new box=20
while the car was resting in my garage for the past 6 months.</div>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" targ=