healeys

Re: [Healeys] Seized steering box

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Seized steering box
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 13:03:01 -0700

--------------A338B406941FAD3A5F69F9F8

Ron,

Please keep us posted on what you discover; I have a DW steering column
on the bench and would like to see resolution of your problem before I
install it.

Is there a chance it's something in the column, I think there should be
a felt 'seal' in it?  Did you fill the box with the Millers oil that
came with it?

Bob

On 4/19/2020 5:25 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Actually, in addition to the ball bearings the problem could be the
> sector shaft seized in its bush.
> If there is a small amount of free movement before resistance is felt
> I would look at that.

> On Sun, Apr 19, 2020, 8:20 AM Ron Fine, <ronfineesq@earthlink.net
>
>     Last summer I installed a new DW steering box in my BN7.  It was
>     installed without any adjustments pursuant to the instructions.  I
>     drove about 200 miles and the steering box worked as expected.
>     After about a 6 month pause I took my car out for a short drive
>     yesterday and discovered that the steering wheel was very hard to
>     turn.  I was only able to get around the block and back into my
>     garage.
>     I jacked up the front, disconnected the tie rods and confirmed
>     that the box has almost frozen up.  Very difficult to turn the
>     steering wheel.
>     I adjusted out the peg so it would not be causing the problem but
>     the bearing or something inside the box is seizing up.  The box is
>     full of oil, no leaks.
>     I know what is inside the box since I spend some time 20 years ago
>     rebuilding my original box and the only thing I can think of that
>     would seize up are the two bearings, but, I canâ??t understand why
>     that would happen to a new box while the car was resting in my
>     garage for the past 6 months.
>     Any ideas as to what to check before I pull this box out again.
>     Thanks,
>     Ron

--------------A338B406941FAD3A5F69F9F8

  <head>
  </head>
    Ron, <br>
    Please keep us posted on what you discover; I have a DW steering
    column on the bench and would like to see resolution of your problem
    before I install it.<br>
    Is there a chance it's something in the column, I think there should
    be a felt 'seal' in it?  Did you fill the box with the Millers oil
    that came with it?<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LLNfSQiT-02rfxNLwX+qr6Z_DMccqX9T98UDQeGvarnkg@mail.gmail.com">
        problem could be the sector shaft seized in its bush.
          before resistance is felt I would look at that.</div>
          Ron Fine, &lt;<a href="mailto:ronfineesq@earthlink.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true">ronfineesq@earthlink.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
                style="FONT-SIZE:10pt;FONT-FAMILY:'Arial';COLOR:#000000">
                  BN7.  It was installed without any adjustments
                  pursuant to the instructions.  I drove about 200 miles
                  and the steering box worked as expected.</div>
                  short drive yesterday and discovered that the steering
                  wheel was very hard to turn.  I was only able to get
                  around the block and back into my garage.</div>
                  and confirmed that the box has almost frozen up.  Very
                  difficult to turn the steering wheel.</div>
                  the problem but the bearing or something inside the
                  box is seizing up.  The box is full of oil, no leaks.
                  time 20 years ago rebuilding my original box and the
                  only thing I can think of that would seize up are the
                  two bearings, but, I canâ??t understand why that would
                  happen to a new box while the car was resting in my
                  garage for the past 6 months.</div>
                  box out again.</div>

--------------A338B406941FAD3A5F69F9F8--

--===============0617154997909789664==