RE: How does GEEZ calculate usage?

To: Engstrom <engstrom@onramp.net>, Todd Green <tag@cs.utah.edu>,
Subject: RE: How does GEEZ calculate usage?
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:26:11 -0500
At 07:50 PM 10/28/99 , Engstrom wrote:
>> Ignoring the transition component, you'd want something like:
>>
>>      g_usage = sqrt((cur_lat/peak_lat)^2 + (cur_accel/peak_accel)^2)
>>

>Now, usage at any point in the run is calculated as the highest of three
>numbers.
>       1) Total G percentage - this number is the distance from the
>           origin (or center of the friction circle) of the total Gs that
>           the car is currently pulling divided by the distance from
>           the origin of the edge of the friction circle that touches
>           a line that runs from the origin through the total G point
>           that the car is currently pulling.

Okay.  I think the math for this would be the g_usage I gave above,
where you use the appropriate friction circle for your speed.

>       2) Maximum acceleration G percentage - this number is the
>           longitudinal acceleration that the car is currently pulling
>           divided by the maximum longitudinal acceleration that the
>           car can pull.  If the friction circle for a given speed was
>           always a circle, then this percentage would always be less
>           than or equal to #1 above.  However, the friction "circle" for
>           any given speed is actually a friction ellipse.  This means
>           that although you might only be pulling 90% of total Gs,
>           you are accelerating at 95% of the maximum longitudinal
>           acceleration.  Since Geez doesn't know whether you want
>           to pull max longitudinal Gs or max total Gs at this point on
>           the course, it gives you the benefit of the doubt.

Interesting.  I would think that #1 would handle the ellipse okay without
#2.  _But_, where the engine gives out at a different point than the tires,
the ellipse may not be a proper ellipse... but actually flat on top.  In
that case, you'd need some really fancy math, OR approximate it by maxing
in this term.

Byron, is that a proper explanation?

Brian