Re: Speed and Vehicle data

To: Wally Strzelec <Wally@Tamu.edu>
Subject: Re: Speed and Vehicle data
From: Arthur Emerson <vreihen@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:42:56 -0700 (PDT)
Wally Strzelec <Wally@Tamu.edu> wrote:
> Arthur Emerson <vreihen@yahoo.com> said:
>
> > On the tach, you "shift" gears by right or left clicking with the
> > mouse on the gear number on the lower right corner of the
> > display.  I've already used the tach to "what if" a downshift
> > and to try different diameter tires in the week that I've had
> > the package.....
>
> So by setting the info in the Driver Diary you correlate a car to a
> particular run and then make changes to see "what if"s?  This is
> cool!

While you're in the vehicle database, you can tweak your tranny
ratios, too.  Assuming that the derived tach data is quasi-accurate,
you can develop the perfect tranny for your car using a dyno chart
of your engine and a little virtual experimenting.  You
won't be able to see the effects of the changes in the maps
themselves, but you can figure out what the changes would do to
your engine RPM at any point along the map.

I don't know how much time you've spent with the diary yet,
but I'll make a suggestion to save you a whole lot of data
entry time. Goto Setup | Map Defaults, then open the diary.
Select defaults for all of the constant data, such as vehicle
and tire size. When you close the defaults map window, this
information will be saved.  Any runs captured after this change
will automatically have the default diary data pre-filled in.
Last week, I just had the car/driver info in there, and
had to add the site info for each run manually afterwards.
This weekend, I'm pre-entering the site stuff, too.  You
just have to remember to change it between events. You might
also want to turn on the map ticks, tick labels, and other
options while you're setting the defaults, which will then
turn on those features on all subsequently-captured maps.....

-Arthur