Re: [Roadsters] Clutch Question

To: Daniel Solomon <d-solomon@comcast.net>, dave <daveandlindab@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Clutch Question
From: Jim Gammon <gtpjimgammon@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 07:47:46 -0800 (PST)
Wow, great info. Being as how I have no idea what fluid was in it, I'll flush
out my brake system like I did my clutch. The fluid was dark brown.

  I'll get the new DOT 5.3 from now on!

  Jim

Daniel Solomon <d-solomon@comcast.net> wrote:
  I haven't been following this thread closely, but DOT 4 and DOT 5 is
something I 'do' know something about, so I'll chime in.
If you mix DOT4 and DOT5, you get mush. Mush which expands, and
swells. And destroys seals.
There "is" a DOT 5.3 that can be mixed with the 3 and 4, but not with
the 5. I know... very confusing.
I used DOT 5 regularly in my race-bikes. (higher boiling point was
available in the DOT5) Once it was intermixed with DOT4 (by accident)
at the racetrack. I spent the next several hours dissassembling the
entire system and cleaning every seal and flushing every hose and
orifice with rubbing alcohol (which will make seals dry and shrink).
Worked well enough for a "racetrack repair", and then I replaced them
all before the next weekend.

Dan