Re: [Roadsters] wiper recomission suggestions

To: "'Fergus OFarrell'" <fergus06@socal.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] wiper recomission suggestions
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:34:48 +1030
--===============0353954473==

"1. remove and clean all contacts on switch (check fuses of course)
2. make sure wiring harness is not preventing operation (seems very close on
drivers side)
One question:
I have completely removed the center console and heater box, leaving only
the E-flasher switch intact.  Is any of the wiper operation related to
anything switch-wise in the center console?  (like low/hi speed related to
the heater fan lo-hi speed resistor mounted within the heater box?)
thanks for the suggestions,
Fergus O, 69 2000, HB, CA"

Hi F O'F,
before doing anything real tricky, I suggest the following: -
Disconnect the crank that couples the wiper motor to the wiper mechanism.
With all electrical stuff normally connected, operate the wiper switch and
see if the wiper motor behaves normally or at all.
That will tell you whether you have an electrical problem or a mechanical
problem.
Try to operate the wiper mechanism by hand, I would be surprised if the
pivots will let you!
It is more likely that the linkage has frozen up but you need to isolate the
two systems, mech and elec. before you know where to go next.
Wiper motor is not related to any heater control etc. just the relevant 8A
power fuse [W] and the wiper switch on the dash.

3:20 PM