Re: Motor break- in, was SU setup for 1800cc

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Motor break- in, was SU setup for 1800cc
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 15:30:31 -0800
First off, Thank you for all the advice on first startup and breaking in the
engine.

Fired up the stroker last weekend, it sounded very good but, I had a couple
of hiccups.

1. the exhaust manifold @ cylinders 2&3 only was turning a bright cherry
red. I richened the mixture till it was not red. Forgot to check the timing,
but pretty sure that is alright.

2. About the time I had the mixture richened the temp was hitting just over
200*, and the damn lower rad hose came off the rad! Anti-freeze and steam
all over the place! The girlfreind came out figuring I'd blown it up!
Nobody scalded, no problems elsewhere, we checked it over and found some
knucklehead had forgotten to tighten the clamp. (me) :-(

3. The GM temp switch I pulled from the wrecking yard ($2) didn't work so I
had to rig up the electric fan to work manually until I get a working
switch.

4. After refilling the cooling system, we fired it up for another try.
Everything seemed to be going well. Good oil pressure (~70 psi @ 2200rpm),
temp rising slowly, no leaks anywhere. hmm. Temp gauge kept rising slowly.
Richened the mixture some more. About the time it hit 230* and was not
coming down, even with the electric fan on we shut it down. Had to put it
away for other commitments. !&%$##!!!!

All told, somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes running time with both
efforts.

Checked it over a couple days later and had no coolant at the top of the
rad, so I guess my efforts at "burping" it weren't good enough. Hoping to be
able to give it another go sometime over the next week, if we get some
decent weather. I'll top the rad off, check the timing, and probably richen
the mixture a bit more for the next round.

Any other suggestions welcome!

On the positive side, I now know all my Classic Instruments gauges work
(except for the speedo - no driving time yet). Tach works off the EDIS
module CTO output. :-)

Is 70 psi a little high for a stroker with a U20 oil pump? Running good
quality 10W30 dino oil.

Cheers
Daryl
'66 R series pain in the arse!