Snug Clutch Assembly, T/O Bearing Question

To: Datsun List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Snug Clutch Assembly, T/O Bearing Question
From: "John E. Stromgren" <lutepisk@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:26:50 -0500
Hello, All:

Clueless Clyde here, enjoying a sense of accomplishment at getting the
engine out and the clutch replaced, and a sense of wonder (as in "Boy, I
wonder how this is supposed to work") at the thought of getting it back
together.

I heard that putting the transmission on again can be a challenge, so
today I thought I would do a dry run and position the clutch disc before
tightening it up.  I've got the transmission apart to fix the 5th gear,
so I could lift it easily, and slip the main shaft/gear assembly into
the clutch.  Once I got it to go in smoothly, I tightened the clutch
cover bolts to retain that position. Then my gear assembly was sticking
out of the clutch, and I couldn't withdraw it.  I had to loosen the
clutch cover bolts again before I could pull the shaft/gear assembly out
of the clutch.

How is that supposed to work?  Surely I have to tighten the clutch cover
bolts before attaching the transmission, but I can't seem to get the
main shaft to go in when the clutch cover is bolted tight.

Are there tricks?  What am I missing?

Here's another question:

There isn't supposed to be any play in the throw-out bearing after it's
shoved on to the sleeve, is there?  I'm not sure whether it's normal, or
whether I may have damaged it while tapping it on to the sleeve.  It's
not much of a wiggle, but it's perceptible, and that doesn't seem right.

As always, I sure appreciate the light you shed on these topics.

Thanks in advance.

Clueless Clyde

(John - SRL311-14061, in Portsmouth, NH)